Loud music affecting hearing

debate, appreciation, interviews, reviews (events or releases), videos, radio shows
Dubzteppa
Posts: 181
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:35 pm
Location: Huddersfield, UK

Loud music affecting hearing

Post by Dubzteppa » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:12 pm

Anyone else feel their ears getting fucked up from the many dubstep gigs and nights out?

I now have quite loud tinitus (ear ringing) and i feel my hearing is impaired after all the loud music exposure, Im thinking of getting some plugs, anyone else wear em?

i might sound like a puff but i do value my hearing alot, and i know its not unheard of for big djs to go completely deaf, not that i think thats gonna happen but you get the jist

so, any thoughts? discuss..
POWAH DUBSTEP SESSIONS, Huddersfield. Saturday 19th of December.

Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/powahdub
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?v=w ... 1183812662
Axis Soundsystem http://www.axissound.co.uk/photos/album ... 1-set.html

nitz
Posts: 3105
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:28 pm

Re: Loud music affecting hearing

Post by nitz » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:15 pm

there loads of threads about this..

just one question. how many gigs have you been to because am petty sure it does take quite a while to kick in!
A brand new song!

Soundcloud

Dubzteppa
Posts: 181
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:35 pm
Location: Huddersfield, UK

Re: Loud music affecting hearing

Post by Dubzteppa » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:21 pm

nitz wrote:there loads of threads about this..

just one question. how many gigs have you been to because am petty sure it does take quite a while to kick in!
alot, my local monthly gig has a pretty massive system and me and all my mates cant hear shit after, then the tinntus hits.. but yeah id disagree and argue that it can be noticed pretty quickly, even without a killer soundsystem
POWAH DUBSTEP SESSIONS, Huddersfield. Saturday 19th of December.

Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/powahdub
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?v=w ... 1183812662
Axis Soundsystem http://www.axissound.co.uk/photos/album ... 1-set.html

♫♪♫
Posts: 949
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:03 am

Re: Loud music affecting hearing

Post by ♫♪♫ » Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:38 pm

I wear earplugs to every show I go to. When I first started going to dubstep shows, the very first one I went to, my ears rang for 2 days. It was annoying as hell, especially when trying to fall asleep at night. Ever since then I wised up and now always keep a bunch of foam ear plugs in my bag for my friends and I.

I think it's actually a real cool effect wearing them, it blocks out the piercing highs that damage your hearing, but you still get 100% of the vibrations from the subs.

I hate the idea of hearing loss, especially considering how much of my life revolves around music. I need to hear as many frequencies as I can!

Dubzteppa
Posts: 181
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:35 pm
Location: Huddersfield, UK

Re: Loud music affecting hearing

Post by Dubzteppa » Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:40 pm

♫♪♫ wrote:I wear earplugs to every show I go to. When I first started going to dubstep shows, the very first one I went to, my ears rang for 2 days. It was annoying as hell, especially when trying to fall asleep at night. Ever since then I wised up and now always keep a bunch of foam ear plugs in my bag for my friends and I.

I think it's actually a real cool effect wearing them, it blocks out the piercing highs that damage your hearing, but you still get 100% of the vibrations from the subs.

I hate the idea of hearing loss, especially considering how much of my life revolves around music. I need to hear as many frequencies as I can!
right, nice one :) im gonna do this, just one thing.. are they noticable to others? like visable?

and where from?
POWAH DUBSTEP SESSIONS, Huddersfield. Saturday 19th of December.

Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/powahdub
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?v=w ... 1183812662
Axis Soundsystem http://www.axissound.co.uk/photos/album ... 1-set.html

nitz
Posts: 3105
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:28 pm

Re: Loud music affecting hearing

Post by nitz » Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:03 pm

♫♪♫ wrote:I wear earplugs to every show I go to. When I first started going to dubstep shows, the very first one I went to, my ears rang for 2 days. It was annoying as hell, especially when trying to fall asleep at night. Ever since then I wised up and now always keep a bunch of foam ear plugs in my bag for my friends and I.

I think it's actually a real cool effect wearing them, it blocks out the piercing highs that damage your hearing, but you still get 100% of the vibrations from the subs.

I hate the idea of hearing loss, especially considering how much of my life revolves around music. I need to hear as many frequencies as I can!
i was just going to ask that !
how do they effect the sound when your wearing them
A brand new song!

Soundcloud

User avatar
Pada
Posts: 5555
Joined: Sun Oct 22, 2006 12:48 pm
Location: Bradford

Re: Loud music affecting hearing

Post by Pada » Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:07 pm

No ones gonna think your a puff mate. Your doing the sensible fucking thing!
http://www.mixcloud.com/Etc/etc-no-6

User avatar
GELG
Posts: 141
Joined: Fri May 22, 2009 1:06 am
Location: Cybertron
Contact:

Re: Loud music affecting hearing

Post by GELG » Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:14 pm

never tried wearing them to a show. I want to be able to hear everything when im there....I hate wearing them when playing on my kit, but its not as important because its just repetitive practice.
Image

danno_
Posts: 47
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:26 am
Location: Bedfordshire

Re: Loud music affecting hearing

Post by danno_ » Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:26 pm

I wear earplugs everytime i go raving. You can buy properly designed plugs to let all frequencies through but just at lower volume rather than the foam ones that block out alot of the sound completley. These are the ones I wear http://www.chemical-records.co.uk/sc/se ... ck=ALPLUGS

User avatar
bagelator
Posts: 2348
Joined: Wed May 03, 2006 6:25 pm
Location: Peli Sulla Lingua

Re: Loud music affecting hearing

Post by bagelator » Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:27 pm

i couldn't hear a fucking word you just said

User avatar
GELG
Posts: 141
Joined: Fri May 22, 2009 1:06 am
Location: Cybertron
Contact:

Re: Loud music affecting hearing

Post by GELG » Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:47 pm

danno_ wrote:I wear earplugs everytime i go raving. You can buy properly designed plugs to let all frequencies through but just at lower volume rather than the foam ones that block out alot of the sound completley. These are the ones I wear http://www.chemical-records.co.uk/sc/se ... ck=ALPLUGS

well iznt that interesting... ahhh.... SCIENCE!!!!
Image

User avatar
15mil
Posts: 620
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:26 pm
Location: West London
Contact:

Re: Loud music affecting hearing

Post by 15mil » Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:09 pm

bagelator wrote:i couldn't hear a fucking word you just said
:lol:
http://www.facebook.com/soapdodgers - JOIN THE FACEBOOK PAGE FOR UPDATES

FREE MIX DOWNLOAD ON HATCHATV.CO.UK - http://www.hatchatv.co.uk/index.php?opt ... Itemid=168

Whistla
Posts: 2452
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2006 4:21 pm
Location: East London
Contact:

Re: Loud music affecting hearing

Post by Whistla » Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:13 pm

bagelator wrote:i couldn't hear a fucking word you just said
beat me 2 it :lol: :lol:

User avatar
ht2
Posts: 178
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:50 pm

Re: Loud music affecting hearing

Post by ht2 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:23 pm

i go to shows/raves almost every weekend and at first my ears would ring for hours afterwards but it was only temporary and now it doesn't seem to to phase me at all, I can be right infront of the speakers all night and when I leave everything sounds normal and fine.
Sometimes I miss hear things in conversations but comeon everybody does from time to time right? I find the only difference is i like my music louder then some people but aside from that its the same. I see lots of people wearing ear plugs at shows but never used them myself.

User avatar
bagelator
Posts: 2348
Joined: Wed May 03, 2006 6:25 pm
Location: Peli Sulla Lingua

Re: Loud music affecting hearing

Post by bagelator » Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:17 am

15mil wrote:
bagelator wrote:i couldn't hear a fucking word you just said
:lol:
12.30.
Whistla wrote:
bagelator wrote:i couldn't hear a fucking word you just said
beat me 2 it :lol: :lol:

no, she said she'd do them on tuesday.

User avatar
WatchYourStep
Posts: 2012
Joined: Wed May 13, 2009 10:07 pm
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada, Earth, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster

Re: Loud music affecting hearing

Post by WatchYourStep » Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:27 am

bagelator wrote:
15mil wrote:
bagelator wrote:i couldn't hear a fucking word you just said
:lol:
12.30.
Whistla wrote:
bagelator wrote:i couldn't hear a fucking word you just said
beat me 2 it :lol: :lol:

no, she said she'd do them on tuesday.
And he keeps going!!!
Emo vocals cut themselves

User avatar
SwordRaven
Posts: 104
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:18 pm
Location: Cardiff

Re: Loud music affecting hearing

Post by SwordRaven » Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:40 am

Thanks for the link to those earplugs, are they comfortable to wear? Do they last a long time also? I worry about my hearing especially after a recent gig where I couldn't hear for shit the next day
Forever falling in love with old tunes that I will never hear dropped.

dre
Posts: 35
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:57 pm
Location: detroit, mi
Contact:

Re: Loud music affecting hearing

Post by dre » Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:41 am

i wear plugs sometimes when i'm djing because the monitors are too loud or there just isn't a good sound in the room.
i went the road of seeing an audiologist to get my hearing checked and from playing drums my whole life i have pretty good tenitus.
after finding that out i had him make me a pair that are custom molded to your ear canal. the process was weird and they cost me a few dollars but they're the best investment in my hearing i have ever made. they're black, they don't stick out.
i know alot of people that wear ear plugs to a club and i don't blame them. especially with heavy bass, those tones hit frequencies that cause damage and you don't even know it because it's literally subsonic. [if i was a dubstep producer, that would be the best compliment to receive]

don't be ashamed of wearing plugs. it just means you'll be able to go out later in life and still have a conversation at the end of the night.

User avatar
gimpyj
Posts: 405
Joined: Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:24 am
Location: nelson, bc
Contact:

Re: Loud music affecting hearing

Post by gimpyj » Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:08 am

dre wrote:i wear plugs sometimes when i'm djing because the monitors are too loud or there just isn't a good sound in the room.
i went the road of seeing an audiologist to get my hearing checked and from playing drums my whole life i have pretty good tenitus.
after finding that out i had him make me a pair that are custom molded to your ear canal. the process was weird and they cost me a few dollars but they're the best investment in my hearing i have ever made. they're black, they don't stick out.
i know alot of people that wear ear plugs to a club and i don't blame them. especially with heavy bass, those tones hit frequencies that cause damage and you don't even know it because it's literally subsonic. [if i was a dubstep producer, that would be the best compliment to receive]

don't be ashamed of wearing plugs. it just means you'll be able to go out later in life and still have a conversation at the end of the night.
yep i use the custom moulded set as well. can't go out/play out without them nowadays. my tinnitus has gotten quite bad. going to punk shows weekly since the age of 13, etc etc..
ht2 wrote:i go to shows/raves almost every weekend and at first my ears would ring for hours afterwards but it was only temporary and now it doesn't seem to to phase me at all, I can be right infront of the speakers all night and when I leave everything sounds normal and fine.
Sometimes I miss hear things in conversations but comeon everybody does from time to time right? I find the only difference is i like my music louder then some people but aside from that its the same. I see lots of people wearing ear plugs at shows but never used them myself.
you sound like me 2 years ago. i would recommend you looking into a pair like the ones posted on chemical, or even go all out and get the molded ones. i always thought i was invincible, and even if my ears rang a bit the next morning it would always go away.
then it didn't.
it kinda sucks. i recommend you avoid that if you can. which you can!
[Dubslingers, Illegal_Sound Crew] - Toronto, Canada
mixes: http://www.liquidfunk.ca/dubconscious

thief
Posts: 1769
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:42 am
Location: Wellington, NZ

Re: Loud music affecting hearing

Post by thief » Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:10 am

WEAR EARPLUGS.

Locked

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 40 guests