AUSTRALIAN DUBSTEP SCENE??

debate, appreciation, interviews, reviews (events or releases), videos, radio shows
User avatar
TheSnifit
Posts: 35
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:23 pm

AUSTRALIAN DUBSTEP SCENE??

Post by TheSnifit » Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:54 am

I'm originally from Perth, Australia stuff was starting to get pretty big there when I left ... but I'm currently living in London was just wondering if anyone knows from experience which Australian cities have the biggest/best/most interesting dubstep scenes?

saba
Posts: 265
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2006 5:14 am
Location: Sydney
Contact:

Re: AUSTRALIAN DUBSTEP SCENE??

Post by saba » Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:26 am

Not to be biased, but Sydney followed closely by Melbourne (but they both maybe the largest scenes for the sound)
The Void Crew & Garage Pressure Crew (Aquatic Lab Records) have been pushing the sound & putting on parties for years.
Currently every month they host the "Void" party which has hosted nearly all the big names in the dubstep scene & the other "Index" pushes more of the tecnno/electronica aspect of the scene having hosted peeps like Clark, Kode9, Paradox & Headhunter.
Melbourne have the Too Much Crew & a few others, which host all the big names that come through this place.

Check http://www.voidsound.com
Image

User avatar
vishnu
Posts: 1469
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:31 am
Location: Perth, Australia

Re: AUSTRALIAN DUBSTEP SCENE??

Post by vishnu » Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:24 am

yeah Perth is loving dubstep at the moment

Even though the population is smaller than melbourne and sydney, the parties still go off...
Perth's lucky enough to have a tight group of promoters, DJs, producers, and punters

Regular nights hosted by Watt Hz, Organic, Scope, Frequency/Jungle Box
and the legendary "someone say dubstep?" which was Perths first dubstep night

the local DJ talent..
speaks for itself:

kito, rekab, ylem, j.nitrous, proximity effect, killafoe, devo, stryfe, skittlez, frantik, missile, AJM, arien, Astep, Ben Taffee, Ben Elliot, Bok Choy, Rafti, Sibilance, MC Skahna, MC Prophecy and myself 8)

+ the dnb heads that produce dubstep:
shockone, phetsta, descent, high roller, there could be more..

next year will be massive no doubt about it :twisted:
Last edited by vishnu on Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.

User avatar
heavy heart
Posts: 52
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:17 am
Location: Cairns , Australia

Re: AUSTRALIAN DUBSTEP SCENE??

Post by heavy heart » Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:54 am

Big in Melbourne town , a few different crews down there , check my boys at brokenbeatassault.com and their New Years Day BassJump party , they're mainly DnB heads but they do things proper like , always good sound and vibe.

NEW YEARS DAY - BASS JUMP 2010! The BIGGEST line up to hit Melbourne!


BBA Presents a Monster line up featuring 15 + Internationals supported by more than 25 acts from around the country!
We'll be taking over both levels of Roxanne Parlour rinsing the beats over 4 rooms of DnB, Dubstep, Jungle Run and Beatz
during an epic 15 hour day/nighter!

Big Sound allover the show, Nexo and Heartical HI FI taking over!

Confirmed Acts

LTJ Bukem & MC Conrad
DJ Marky & Stamina MC
Skream & Benga
SpectraSoul
Joker
DJ Hype & MC Daddy Earl
Hatcha
State Of Mind
MC LowQui
Cern
Chook
Kito
Consequence
Patch
Trooper
Safire
Beatski
Kallous
Joe Seven
1LC
Tobias
Teilhard
Dabeata
Dust b2b Fiend
JPS
Keir
Pase MC
Ruxspin
Livewire
MC Skillz
Cubist
Finna
Same O
AC23
Spin FX
Heartical Hi-Fi Outernational
Kodiak Kid
Camo - Leaf
Fooishbar
Affiks B2B A13 w/ Fraksha
Dysphemic

ROXANNE PARLOUR, NEW YEARS DAY 2010, Get Ready to BASS JUMP!
Heavy Heart - Bass for the body , Soul for the Heart.

godflesh fiend
Posts: 1404
Joined: Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:50 pm
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland

Re: AUSTRALIAN DUBSTEP SCENE??

Post by godflesh fiend » Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:49 pm

heavy heart wrote:Big in Melbourne town , a few different crews down there , check my boys at brokenbeatassault.com and their New Years Day BassJump party , they're mainly DnB heads but they do things proper like , always good sound and vibe.

NEW YEARS DAY - BASS JUMP 2010! The BIGGEST line up to hit Melbourne!


BBA Presents a Monster line up featuring 15 + Internationals supported by more than 25 acts from around the country!
We'll be taking over both levels of Roxanne Parlour rinsing the beats over 4 rooms of DnB, Dubstep, Jungle Run and Beatz
during an epic 15 hour day/nighter!

Big Sound allover the show, Nexo and Heartical HI FI taking over!

Confirmed Acts

LTJ Bukem & MC Conrad
DJ Marky & Stamina MC
Skream & Benga
SpectraSoul
Joker
DJ Hype & MC Daddy Earl
Hatcha
State Of Mind
MC LowQui
Cern
Chook
Kito
Consequence
Patch
Trooper
Safire
Beatski
Kallous
Joe Seven
1LC
Tobias
Teilhard
Dabeata
Dust b2b Fiend
JPS
Keir
Pase MC
Ruxspin
Livewire
MC Skillz
Cubist
Finna
Same O
AC23
Spin FX
Heartical Hi-Fi Outernational
Kodiak Kid
Camo - Leaf
Fooishbar
Affiks B2B A13 w/ Fraksha
Dysphemic

ROXANNE PARLOUR, NEW YEARS DAY 2010, Get Ready to BASS JUMP!

Hey dude that is a monster line-up.

I notice you're in Cairns. Do you live there permanently???

I have a brother that lives in Cairns and he's a fantastic percussionist and makes tunes and loves Dub, House, Afro/Cuban stuff and the more Dub Reggae-ish type Dubstep. Anyway he has been in Cairns for about 20yrs and is really bummed out with the music scene there. The outdoor "raves" are ALWAYS bangin Trance and the clubs (if you can call them that) rarely bring in top quality DJ/Producers who don't play bangin Trance.

Anyway what I'm trying to say is.....are you aware of any good music happening around Cairns at the moment???? I was there from 99-2002 and wow......it really was just bangin Trance and chart crap...........although out of the blue Derrick May did an amazing set in 2000 if I remember???

User avatar
heavy heart
Posts: 52
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:17 am
Location: Cairns , Australia

Re: AUSTRALIAN DUBSTEP SCENE??

Post by heavy heart » Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:20 am

Hey , Just moved back to Cairns after 8 years in Melbourne hence the connection , there's not much up here at the moment , i've gotten a monthly DnB / Dubstep night rolling but the club we were playing at just closed down so it's all up in the air at the moment , will definitely be pushing the sound up here , people are keen and with the connects i've made i'll be bringing some internationals up if things take off. Otherwise it's the same old shit up here , psytrance in the bush and electro house in the clubs , this next year should see some changes though ....
Heavy Heart - Bass for the body , Soul for the Heart.

nousd
Posts: 8654
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:22 am
Location: approaching the flux pavillion

Re: AUSTRALIAN DUBSTEP SCENE??

Post by nousd » Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:06 am

if yu run into em, ask El-B,7 & Cotti.
going thru the same plateau as elsewhere currently
but fresh wave about to break in the new year :wink:
{*}

kwality
Posts: 199
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:45 am
Location: The go
Contact:

Re: AUSTRALIAN DUBSTEP SCENE??

Post by kwality » Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:14 am

Totally biased, but I think the Aus scene is great - good, solid crews and everyone's super friendly, which isn't the same in all genres.

Plenty of respect, plenty of good producers and just the right amount of gigs (you don't get sick of them, but they're not rare).
Image

godflesh fiend
Posts: 1404
Joined: Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:50 pm
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland

Re: AUSTRALIAN DUBSTEP SCENE??

Post by godflesh fiend » Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:23 pm

kwality wrote:Totally biased, but I think the Aus scene is great - good, solid crews and everyone's super friendly, which isn't the same in all genres.

I take it you haven't visited Cairns.

User avatar
vishnu
Posts: 1469
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:31 am
Location: Perth, Australia

Re: AUSTRALIAN DUBSTEP SCENE??

Post by vishnu » Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:17 pm

godflesh fiend wrote:
kwality wrote:Totally biased, but I think the Aus scene is great - good, solid crews and everyone's super friendly, which isn't the same in all genres.

I take it you haven't visited Cairns.
:lol:

kwality
Posts: 199
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:45 am
Location: The go
Contact:

Re: AUSTRALIAN DUBSTEP SCENE??

Post by kwality » Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:19 pm

Haha, fair enough. But I've yet to meet any Australian stepper that had a bad attitude, so most of my comment stands.

Just imagine if there was a good scene in Cairns? With scenery like it has... damn that'd be good.
Image

User avatar
d-vo
Posts: 159
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:28 am
Location: perth
Contact:

Re: AUSTRALIAN DUBSTEP SCENE??

Post by d-vo » Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:01 am

only gripe about perth is big gigs often lack nuff subs :cry:
gimme some sugar baby....

godflesh fiend
Posts: 1404
Joined: Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:50 pm
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland

Re: AUSTRALIAN DUBSTEP SCENE??

Post by godflesh fiend » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:20 am

kwality wrote:Just imagine if there was a good scene in Cairns? With scenery like it has... damn that'd be good.
Bang on mate.

I mean it's probably the most beautiful place on the planet with the Barrier Reef and the World Herritage Rainforrest yet it has one of the most banal music scenes on the planet?

There is absolutely NO reason why Cairns should not have a fantastic and vibrant music scene. I can't understand why top producers/acts who tour Australia virtually NEVER play Cairns? I mean if you're going to go all the way to friggin Australia you really are mad if you're not going to head up to Cairns, considering it's mindblowing beautiful?

I am happy to hear that Heavy Heart is trying to bring some quality music to Cairns and spark a different scene other than lame bangin Trance.

If Cairns had an amazing and vibrant music scene it would easily be the coolest place on the planet.

krytikall
Posts: 57
Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:03 am
Location: Birmingham, England

Re: AUSTRALIAN DUBSTEP SCENE??

Post by krytikall » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:36 am

recently went travellin 2 oz with the mrs, brissy had some live nights, the dark morass folks get some sick bookings :)

User avatar
DEMZ
Posts: 293
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2009 7:49 am
Location: Sydney, Australia
Contact:

Re: AUSTRALIAN DUBSTEP SCENE??

Post by DEMZ » Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:04 am

saba wrote:Not to be biased, but Sydney followed closely by Melbourne (but they both maybe the largest scenes for the sound)
The Void Crew & Garage Pressure Crew (Aquatic Lab Records) have been pushing the sound & putting on parties for years.
Currently every month they host the "Void" party which has hosted nearly all the big names in the dubstep scene & the other "Index" pushes more of the tecnno/electronica aspect of the scene having hosted peeps like Clark, Kode9, Paradox & Headhunter.
Melbourne have the Too Much Crew & a few others, which host all the big names that come through this place.

Check http://www.voidsound.com

So glad I found this thread, I had no idea about anyone who put good dub shows in syd, I only go to trashbags events, but now they dont do OH MY and they've gotten rid of the dub room I had no idea what to do, thanks heaps for this post man :)
New Track - This Isn't Working
Soundcloud
Cairo
http://soundcloud.com/cairodub

droid sector
Posts: 710
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:00 am
Location: Geelong, Australia
Contact:

Re: AUSTRALIAN DUBSTEP SCENE??

Post by droid sector » Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:15 am

godflesh fiend wrote:
There is absolutely NO reason why Cairns should not have a fantastic and vibrant music scene. I can't understand why top producers/acts who tour Australia virtually NEVER play Cairns? I mean if you're going to go all the way to friggin Australia you really are mad if you're not going to head up to Cairns, considering it's mindblowing beautiful?
and what, play to 5 people ?

you're forgetting the fact Cairns has a tiny population (about 140,00 according to google). tha'ts hardly enough people to sustain a scene that revolves around a niche genre of dance music.

User avatar
amick
Posts: 999
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2005 6:09 am
Location: VNO

Re: AUSTRALIAN DUBSTEP SCENE??

Post by amick » Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:42 pm

Melbourne is spoilt for the amount of gigs and internationals we get.

Big respect to all the crews who put in hard yards and effort and $$$ to bring DJ's out. I think the best thing about the scene here is the importance of a decent sound system.

Last weekend went to Appleblim on the Friday then Sukh Knight on the Saturday. Truly blessed.

Haven't been to a gig in Sydney but i'll be there Jan 2010 so i'll check it out.
64hz wrote:well seeing as beethoven was deaf i reckon he would fuckin love subbass

Dubbydoogs
Posts: 58
Joined: Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:53 pm
Location: Wolves (Birminghams arsehole)

Re: AUSTRALIAN DUBSTEP SCENE??

Post by Dubbydoogs » Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:50 pm

They be spinning plates upside down all day.
Image

godflesh fiend
Posts: 1404
Joined: Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:50 pm
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland

Re: AUSTRALIAN DUBSTEP SCENE??

Post by godflesh fiend » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:30 pm

droid sector wrote:
godflesh fiend wrote:
There is absolutely NO reason why Cairns should not have a fantastic and vibrant music scene. I can't understand why top producers/acts who tour Australia virtually NEVER play Cairns? I mean if you're going to go all the way to friggin Australia you really are mad if you're not going to head up to Cairns, considering it's mindblowing beautiful?
and what, play to 5 people ?

you're forgetting the fact Cairns has a tiny population (about 140,00 according to google). tha'ts hardly enough people to sustain a scene that revolves around a niche genre of dance music.

Derrick May played up there when I was there (2000?) and the place was mobbed and going off like a bag of prawns as they like to say. Derrick was playing all sorts of fantastic music too from classic old skool techno through to funky jazz through to slammin afro/cuban tribal stuff.

Freq Nasty played a few years back too..........it went off.

There are a HEAP of people in Cairns who want quality music but unfortunately don't get it........due to living in Cairns.

If you build it......they will come.

User avatar
heavy heart
Posts: 52
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:17 am
Location: Cairns , Australia

Re: AUSTRALIAN DUBSTEP SCENE??

Post by heavy heart » Sat Dec 19, 2009 3:10 am

godflesh fiend wrote:
droid sector wrote:
godflesh fiend wrote:
There is absolutely NO reason why Cairns should not have a fantastic and vibrant music scene. I can't understand why top producers/acts who tour Australia virtually NEVER play Cairns? I mean if you're going to go all the way to friggin Australia you really are mad if you're not going to head up to Cairns, considering it's mindblowing beautiful?
and what, play to 5 people ?

you're forgetting the fact Cairns has a tiny population (about 140,00 according to google). tha'ts hardly enough people to sustain a scene that revolves around a niche genre of dance music.

Derrick May played up there when I was there (2000?) and the place was mobbed and going off like a bag of prawns as they like to say. Derrick was playing all sorts of fantastic music too from classic old skool techno through to funky jazz through to slammin afro/cuban tribal stuff.

Freq Nasty played a few years back too..........it went off.

There are a HEAP of people in Cairns who want quality music but unfortunately don't get it........due to living in Cairns.

If you build it......they will come.

All good points , we do get the odd event that manages to spark some interest but it's tough , we are an isolated , small city and I don't think i'm ever going to be able to roll out anything like the capital cities , at least not with a profit involved. But if I can provide some DJ's with a holiday in the tropics , in what is known as the easiest city in Australia to get laid in ( depending on your standards ) and a tropical paradise , and educate a crowd of heads on real bass music then fuck it i'm down. It's all about the quality of the music and the heart of the crew keeping the scene alive and there's not much doubt about either of those , so i'll keep ya posted ...
Heavy Heart - Bass for the body , Soul for the Heart.

Locked

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 36 guests