things you prefer about breakstep

debate, appreciation, interviews, reviews (events or releases), videos, radio shows
geoff

things you prefer about breakstep

Post by geoff » Wed Oct 26, 2005 11:12 am

Following from the lull thread, what do you prefer about breakstep, over dubstep?

dubmugga

Post by dubmugga » Wed Oct 26, 2005 11:17 am

tell me what breakstep is to start with...

...drop some names and labels

cos i always thought breakstep was what road, rat, hardcorebeats and peeps like zed bias, darqwan and quest were and differentiated from the nu skool of Si begg, tipper, botchit, tcr or the funky shit of plumps, krafty cuts fingerlickin and against the grain and supercharged...

so what u talkin bout willis ???

geoff

Post by geoff » Wed Oct 26, 2005 11:23 am

You know, S&D, Hotflush, Storming, Dubchild, some of Distances stuff.

m9918868

Post by m9918868 » Wed Oct 26, 2005 11:28 am

The distinction between breakstep/dubstep is just a fake one to me. Stop talking about it now. Immediately.

dubmugga

Post by dubmugga » Wed Oct 26, 2005 11:37 am

well that's not what i'd call breakstep but...

...what I prefer about that stuff is the mashing up of genres and the fact that you can dance to it

also that it is cutting edge and fully indicative of the path electronica has taken at this juncture in time...

...in saying that I fully dig the dubstep stuff because you can get irie to it, think, work, drive and feel shit about it cos it's uncluttered and honest, albeit in a reinterpreted dub style that carries on in the tradition of dub electronica

the downside being you can't really shake your ass like theres no tomorrow to it...

flip sides to the same coin maybe ???

What I don't like is intelligent stuff cos dance music has never been about being clever...

...we settle for just stupidly good shit and you can just take it or leave it

no skin of our nose...

spaceboy

Post by spaceboy » Wed Oct 26, 2005 11:41 am

dont PREFER it - so naive......
The World is YOURZ

7 below

Post by 7 below » Wed Oct 26, 2005 11:48 am

Spaceboy wrote:dont PREFER it - so naive......
different toons for different occasions.. listen to all of it!

spaceboy

Post by spaceboy » Wed Oct 26, 2005 11:49 am

MIX IT ALL UP, vary it up, take it here, take it there, up the pace, slow it down...become INTERESTING
The World is YOURZ

dubmugga

Post by dubmugga » Wed Oct 26, 2005 11:56 am

*hypnotic suggestion*

YOU WILL SIGN A HELL SCIENCE DEPT TRAK EL SID

...might have something you may be interested in real soon

been tinkering in the lab as always and think we have cracked the hotflush recipe...

...no rush though

:wink:

gena

Post by gena » Wed Oct 26, 2005 12:16 pm

[quote="dubmugga"]tell me what breakstep is to start with...

...drop some names and labels

cos i always thought breakstep was what road, rat, hardcorebeats and peeps like zed bias, darqwan and quest were and differentiated from the nu skool of Si begg, tipper, botchit, tcr or the funky shit of plumps, krafty cuts fingerlickin and against the grain and supercharged...

^^^^^^
What u said! 8)

dubmugga

Post by dubmugga » Wed Oct 26, 2005 1:02 pm

hey Gena

what do you make of this...

Sparticle feat jordan reyne_HELL SCIENCE DEPT
http://s28.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=35HP ... FFU2G6K4K7

breakstep, dubstep, jumpstep, bumpstep ???

sheriff

Post by sheriff » Wed Oct 26, 2005 1:16 pm

for me on a personal level breakstep is hotflush, search and destroy, storming productions early dj distance music too and some slaughter mob tracks too.
I call it breakbeat/step as I feel that these producers don't have the same sound as producers like skream, kode9, loefah etc.
I think the word dubstep is being used by different people like fashion. I read recently that plastic plays dubstep. I thought he played grime! It like everyone wants to be associated with the "new sound" hence the "Our sound e.p" whixh tried to fuse it all together by the title but didn't provide enough diversity in the music on that release in my opinion.

i think enough music has been made by many of the producers involved for the good public like my self to decide what they want to call each producers style. and in all honesty is it important?

prior

Post by prior » Wed Oct 26, 2005 1:22 pm

[quote="Sheriff"] hence the "Our sound e.p" whixh tried to fuse it all together by the title but didn't provide enough diversity in the music on that release in my opinion. quote]

Thats why we didn't call it everyones sound, we called it our sound :wink:

sheriff

Post by sheriff » Wed Oct 26, 2005 1:25 pm

without meaning to cause offence prior what sound do you make then ? and what was the sound on that release ?

m9918868

Post by m9918868 » Wed Oct 26, 2005 1:29 pm

For the pigeonholer amonst us:

http://www.di.fm/edmguide/edmguide.html

I had quite fun with this stuff yesterday night. Although his descriptions aren't always on spot (some are though), it provides some basic insights in how dance music evolved into all the diverse directions we know (or don't know).

ps: no dubstep over there yet, let alone breakstep.

geoff

Post by geoff » Wed Oct 26, 2005 1:41 pm

What I don't understand is why people are so resistant to using the term breakstep. It has a clearly distinct sound with a clear and distinct origin and direction. Nobody is saying that you have to stick to one pigeon hole. For example, Distance clearly makes both breakstep and dubstep. Its just a helpful way of describing a style, thats all. Maybe this is why you only hear complaints from breakstep people on these forums, because others definition of dubstep does not include them, and so their endless complaints about lack of recognition are seen as hitching a ride on someone elses boat.

rickyricardo

Post by rickyricardo » Wed Oct 26, 2005 2:40 pm

I think people are resistant b/c there is already something called "breakstep", which is what dubmugga pointed out earlier. When I think 'breakstep', I think of DeeKline, early Bingo, Hardcore Beats, Killa Dark, etc....

Spin the genre wheel, and try again 8) ....Or better yet, step away from the wheel, altogether.

Trying to break stuff down like this just seems silly to me, especially when you really only have about a handful of artists to put in that category.

Amit makes dnb that doesn't sound like anyone elses. Should we make a new genre for him called "Amitstep"?

m9918868

Post by m9918868 » Wed Oct 26, 2005 2:48 pm

geoff wrote:What I don't understand is why people are so resistant to using the term breakstep.
Primo, because there are ten people producing dubstep and fifty listening to it. Quite futile to split em up, no? [Note: I do refuse to use your genre name and I will continue to]. Above that, the assumed as obvious genre differences between some hotflush or destructive artists and let's say mala or coki or whoever should then be pure dubstep, are not so obvious to me. Finally, I can't be arsed with it.

Lock the thread, please, administrator. While I got you on the line, lock that lull-thread as well.

sheriff

Post by sheriff » Wed Oct 26, 2005 2:52 pm

lol. why it's only opinions.

geoff

Post by geoff » Wed Oct 26, 2005 3:19 pm

Very defensive, you lot, aren't you.

There is as much if not more commonality between S&D, Dubchild etc. and early Bingo, Oris Jay and even Hardcore Beats stuff as there is between S&D etc. and dubstep.