Special Announcement: We have migrated to a new forum platform community.dsf.ninja. The old forum is locked, but it will remain open for reading. Read more.

Buying hardware

hardware, software, tips and tricks
Forum rules
By using this "Production" sub-forum, you acknowledge that you have read, understood and agreed with our terms of use for this site. Click HERE to read them. If you do not agree to our terms of use, you must exit this site immediately. We do not accept any responsibility for the content, submissions, information or links contained herein. Users posting content here, do so completely at their own risk.

Quick Link to Feedback Forum

Postby daft cunt » Thu Apr 12, 2007 7:21 am

At long last I'll be getting my 1st pieces of hardware and I need you to make the right choices. Here are my 1st thought-picks :
1-MIDI Keyboard (<~250 EUR) : that for sure will be the Axiom-49
2-BASS SYNTH (<~500 EUR) : I'm already in love with the SH-201 just by looking at it. It seems to work pretty well for pads too.
3-SAMPLER : any valuable reason to prefer to go hard with Kontakt installed and a few analogue synths around?
4-DRUM MACHINE (<~400 EUR) : the only ones I know are the Electribe's and I've only seen them in the hands of techno ravers. Are they any good for breaks/d'n'b/dubz feel? What else?
5-MONITOR SPEAKERS : active ones, 500 - 700 EUR for the pair.
6-ANALOGUE MIXING DESK : basicly the idea came from DJ $hy suggesting using one to get the analogue touch while mixing down. The guy says even a cheap $100 is worth it, what do you reckon?
7-MIDI Interface : don't know much about them... Something cheaper than Future One's pick would be fine though.
8-Sound card : M-Audio Delta Audiophile 192 is just fine, innit?
Last edited by daft cunt on Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
User avatar
daft cunt
 
Posts:
1702
Joined:
Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:58 pm
Location:
Toulouse, France

Postby future one » Thu Apr 12, 2007 7:30 am

Image

Roland SH-101 1980's analogue bass synth:

Pretty much sums it up... BASS MACHINE!

Image

Access Virus C Desktop synth:

Great all round synth.

Image

Motu Ultralite:

FireWire Audio/MIDI Interface with 10 Inputs and 14 Outputs.

Image

Mackie Onyx 1220:

12 Channel analogue mixer with wicked mic preamps and nice eq. I use it for summing, tasty analogue distortion and recording guitar and running breaks and reeses through the distortion pedals.

Image

Image

Cry Baby and Boss Overdrive distortion pedals:

Run reeses and breaks through them for some for some evil distortion.
future one
 
Posts:
339
Joined:
Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:38 pm
Location:
Auckland, New Zealand.

Postby daft cunt » Thu Apr 12, 2007 7:55 am

SH-101 vs SH-201 : 201 seems quite more flexible. What makes you prefer the 101 apart from saving a few bucks?

Didn't mention the Virus C cause it's pretty much over-budget all at once.

Forgot to mention the MIDI interface, thank you for this.

Mackie Onyx 1220 looks promising. Have to look for an used one though.

Mmmhh pedals... That's gonna rock!!! Had the overdrive you mentioned back when I was playing guitar but I'd go for the Metalzone II now.
Anybody knows this site where they give shitloads of maps and sell the proper kits for DIY pedals? Looks pretty easy to do and you pay half the price that way.
User avatar
daft cunt
 
Posts:
1702
Joined:
Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:58 pm
Location:
Toulouse, France

Postby daft cunt » Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:39 am

4-DRUM MACHINE : Korg ElecTribe Es-1 MkII doesn't look bad.
Somebody ever tried this one?
User avatar
daft cunt
 
Posts:
1702
Joined:
Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:58 pm
Location:
Toulouse, France

Postby decklyn » Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:47 am

I bought an Axiom and overall I'm pretty happy with it, but in retrospect I would have bought something else, had I had the chance to sample it.

+
The keys are FANTASTIC. Aftertouch is great.
Pitchbend and mod feel very nice.
Having transport controls was enough to convince me to sell my UC33e to buy this.
The tap pads also were a strong selling point.

-
The knobs are straight useless. You can't go from 0-127 in one turn. They're loud, as well.
All of the output from the keyboard seems random, and alot of people have trouble setting them up.
Image
Decklyn Dublog - Rants, Raves and Tutorials - http://www.decklyn.com
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.soundcloud.com/decklyn
Mar 18th: Seba Remix
http://soundcloud.com/decklyn/chase-and-status-time-decklyn
User avatar
decklyn
 
Posts:
1551
Joined:
Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:29 am
Location:
Toronto, Canada

Postby decklyn » Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:44 am

I'd like to get some more gear but I don't really know where to go now. I've just got the essentials. A controller. Reference monitors/sub.
That's it actually. I've sold a soundcard and another controller (UC33e)

Of course, decks etc I've got as well.

I get such big sounds out of all of the software I dont see any need to get anything else, but I want to spend some money damnit!
Image
Decklyn Dublog - Rants, Raves and Tutorials - http://www.decklyn.com
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.soundcloud.com/decklyn
Mar 18th: Seba Remix
http://soundcloud.com/decklyn/chase-and-status-time-decklyn
User avatar
decklyn
 
Posts:
1551
Joined:
Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:29 am
Location:
Toronto, Canada

Postby dougd » Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:42 am

Monosynth: DSI Evolver
Image
Four osc monosynth: two real analog oscs and two digital ones + two analog lowpass filters, and distortion. You can also get it with a keyboard and polyphony for more money, but this one is the best value. More info here... it will be a bit harder to learn than the SH201 but much better sounding and more flexible once you get going. Also check the second link for a PDF guide which shows you how to use it in depth.

I don't really know why you'd need an Electribe with all the samples on the internet... save your money and get a Machinedrum later. Same deal with a sampler, why get a hardware one in 2007...?
User avatar
dougd
 
Posts:
106
Joined:
Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:38 am

Postby future one » Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:01 am

Daft tnuc wrote:SH-101 vs SH-201 : 201 seems quite more flexible. What makes you prefer the 101 apart from saving a few bucks?


The 101 is analogue and the 201 is digital. You cant get bass out of the 201 that will get anywhere near the 101.

My 101 destroys my virus when it comes to bass. Also because of the extreme reasonance of its analogue filter its awesome for effects especially when combined with a distortion pedal.

The next pedal I'm after is a Big Muff or one of the Boss Chorus pedals.
future one
 
Posts:
339
Joined:
Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:38 pm
Location:
Auckland, New Zealand.

Postby daft cunt » Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:49 am

Ok, ok, thx for your answers.
That Evolver looks promising. Gotta go on with the reading.

After reading some reviews, the knobs problem you mentioned seems not to be specific to the Axiom, few other keyboards of different brands in this range of price are concerned. What you reckon about Edirol's PCR-500 though?

The more I read about the SH-101 the better it gets. Only it's an old machine and I don't feel comfortable with buying this to a random user over the internet. Found offers from 250 to 500 EUR. What would be a decent price if you'd buy it now?
User avatar
daft cunt
 
Posts:
1702
Joined:
Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:58 pm
Location:
Toulouse, France

Postby future one » Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:54 am

Daft tnuc wrote:Ok, ok, thx for your answers.
That Evolver looks promising. Gotta go on with the reading.

After reading some reviews, the knobs problem you mentioned seems not to be specific to the Axiom, few other keyboards of different brands in this range of price are concerned. What you reckon about Edirol's PCR-500 though?

The more I read about the SH-101 the better it gets. Only it's an old machine and I don't feel comfortable with buying this to a random user over the internet. Found offers from 250 to 500 EUR. What would be a decent price if you'd buy it now?


I have an Edirol PCR keyboard and its good but some of the keys are starting to fail and I've only had it 2 years.

I bought my SH-101 for $600 USD which is quite pricey but its in absolutely mint condition and it sounds so phat. You can get one much cheaper but it might be a bit fucked.
future one
 
Posts:
339
Joined:
Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:38 pm
Location:
Auckland, New Zealand.

Postby dougd » Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:59 am

The SH-101 doesn't have MIDI tho, so you'll have to either play your basslines yourself, or get a MIDI-CV box to convert it.

Main differences between the Evolver and the SH101... the Evolver can sound alot more complex and versatile, but is harder to use, while the SH101 is simple, aggressive sounding and immediate... just change the sliders to change the sound. They're both classics, it's up to you and what you want.
User avatar
dougd
 
Posts:
106
Joined:
Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:38 am

Postby daft cunt » Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:29 am

DougD wrote:The SH-101 doesn't have MIDI tho, so you'll have to either play your basslines yourself, or get a MIDI-CV box to convert it.

Main differences between the Evolver and the SH101... the Evolver can sound alot more complex and versatile, but is harder to use, while the SH101 is simple, aggressive sounding and immediate... just change the sliders to change the sound. They're both classics, it's up to you and what you want.

Thank you for pointing that out
User avatar
daft cunt
 
Posts:
1702
Joined:
Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:58 pm
Location:
Toulouse, France

Postby decklyn » Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:42 am

Great discussions in here. Thanks to everyone for thier contributions.

So how are you guys interfacing the hardware with your softstudios?

Are you running each piece of kit into a desk, and then insert it into your soundcard, or straight into the soundcard to be mixed in cubase?

I'm really scratching my head over where I want to go in my studio. Some gear would be alot of fun. I'm just not too sure how to go about integrating it yet.

Due to space concerns, I'd probably be looking at mostly rackmount soundcards and synths, as my tables/CDJs along with my production PC, and sound is already looking at a whole room.
Image
Decklyn Dublog - Rants, Raves and Tutorials - http://www.decklyn.com
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.soundcloud.com/decklyn
Mar 18th: Seba Remix
http://soundcloud.com/decklyn/chase-and-status-time-decklyn
User avatar
decklyn
 
Posts:
1551
Joined:
Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:29 am
Location:
Toronto, Canada

Postby deeper sounds » Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:56 pm

If you go for the Axiom 49 you wont be disappointed mate. I bought one 2 weeks ago and it's a quality bit of kit
deeper sounds
 
Posts:
1
Joined:
Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:36 pm

Postby deadly_habit » Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:44 pm

right now trying to get a tascam portastudio on ebay and an old rackmount synth :twisted:
deadly_habit
 
Posts:
22980
Joined:
Tue Oct 24, 2006 4:41 am
Location:
MURRICA

Postby deadly_habit » Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:46 pm

decklyn wrote:Great discussions in here. Thanks to everyone for thier contributions.

So how are you guys interfacing the hardware with your softstudios?

Are you running each piece of kit into a desk, and then insert it into your soundcard, or straight into the soundcard to be mixed in cubase?

I'm really scratching my head over where I want to go in my studio. Some gear would be alot of fun. I'm just not too sure how to go about integrating it yet.

Due to space concerns, I'd probably be looking at mostly rackmount soundcards and synths, as my tables/CDJs along with my production PC, and sound is already looking at a whole room.

heh should see my room crammed to the max
decks/cdj mixer setup and record shelves take half of room bed another good chunk
i wanna build a new system since im using a laptop atm but don't know where i'd have the room for 2 monitors or the tower
hell i'm stretching it if i start a 19" rackmount shelving :lol:
deadly_habit
 
Posts:
22980
Joined:
Tue Oct 24, 2006 4:41 am
Location:
MURRICA

Postby daft cunt » Sat Apr 14, 2007 12:20 am

Future One wrote:
Daft tnuc wrote:Ok, ok, thx for your answers.
That Evolver looks promising. Gotta go on with the reading.

After reading some reviews, the knobs problem you mentioned seems not to be specific to the Axiom, few other keyboards of different brands in this range of price are concerned. What you reckon about Edirol's PCR-500 though?

The more I read about the SH-101 the better it gets. Only it's an old machine and I don't feel comfortable with buying this to a random user over the internet. Found offers from 250 to 500 EUR. What would be a decent price if you'd buy it now?


I have an Edirol PCR keyboard and its good but some of the keys are starting to fail and I've only had it 2 years.

I bought my SH-101 for $600 USD which is quite pricey but its in absolutely mint condition and it sounds so phat. You can get one much cheaper but it might be a bit fucked.

Remember now having read such things about Edirol's keyboards. How about Novation's then? :?
User avatar
daft cunt
 
Posts:
1702
Joined:
Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:58 pm
Location:
Toulouse, France

Postby grizzle » Sat Apr 14, 2007 4:57 am

Daft tnuc wrote:4-DRUM MACHINE : Korg ElecTribe Es-1 MkII doesn't look bad.
Somebody ever tried this one?


The ES-1 uses a weird form of compression. Audio data is compressed by 40%... appearently there is an OS update that changes this but I couldn't find it. 40% compression is too much for me. I think maybe the SP 404 or the MPC500/1000 would be better... at least they're both full range audio.
__________________________________
http://www.myspace.com/grizzlemusic
User avatar
grizzle
 
Posts:
35
Joined:
Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:34 pm

Postby grizzle » Sat Apr 14, 2007 5:51 am

1-MIDI Keyboard (<~250 EUR) : that for sure will be the Axiom-49 - if you like it go for it.
2-BASS SYNTH (<~500 EUR) :

Image
It's monophonic so only one note at a time but it's analogue so you get great bass and leads from it. It also has 3 osc's so you can get a really fat sound and a sequncer... Alternately maybe something like the Novation BassStation rack... you should get it for about €150 it has analogue osc's and filters.

4-DRUM MACHINE (<~400 EUR) :



Image

You should pick one up second hand for about €200... otherwise an MPC500 second hand about €400. I might leave the ES-1 alone.. if you want an electribe the ESX's are better.


5-MONITOR SPEAKERS : active ones, 500 - 700 EUR for the pair.

There all much the same at that price. All have problems... all are mostly fine. I suppose it could be Behringer Truths (bit boomy) Alesis MK2 (bit dull) M-Audio BMX8 (bit harsh at the top).


6-ANALOGUE MIXING DESK : basicly the idea came from DJ $hy suggesting using one to get the analogue touch while mixing down. The guy says even a cheap $100 is worth it, what do you reckon?

Image


Maybe get a really fat filter instead. The Frostwave Resonator is a clone of the filter from the Korg MS-20. It sounds great... run absolutely everything through it. A decent mixer is going to cost you a lot so either get a filter or a channel strip like the Drawmer MX60. Both of these will help to warm up the sound but they're mono so???

7-MIDI Interface : The Axiom 49 has USB MIDI and MIDI IN/OUT and so does the Delta 192.. so you have that covered.

8-Sound card : M-Audio Delta Audiophile 192 is just fine, innit?

If your going to stay with a desktop maybe look at this:
Image

It's a great deal at €149. The best thing is it has a EMU soft sampler with a free 2GB EMU phatt sound library. Also it has ADAT connections so if you ever need to expand the number of inputs you have you can just buy an 8 channel ADAT card like the Focusrite OctoPre or the Behringer one...
Here's the link http://www.thomann.de/ie/emu_1212memulator_xset.htm

This is actually cheaper than the Delta 192 and a much much much better.


The stuff I picked is small so you could play live with it easily enough.
Any extra money you have should go into monitors...
__________________________________
http://www.myspace.com/grizzlemusic
User avatar
grizzle
 
Posts:
35
Joined:
Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:34 pm

Postby daft cunt » Sat Apr 14, 2007 11:00 am

Big up Grizzle! :)
Do you own the MFB-Synth? Possibly have samples?

About the samplers, as said before I'm not sure about spending money on hardware for this. The Elektron Machinedrum instead... :o Found a used one not too far from my place for 800...
Thing is I own the Truths and they are boomy. Don't know... maybe I stick with them, save some cash and get the Machinedrum.

Not sure about replacing the analogue mixer by just a filter. Read good things about MACKIE 1402 VLZ PRO and it's not so expensive. The Resonator looks like good investment though if I can find a used one.

Thanx for the advice on the E-MU sound card.
User avatar
daft cunt
 
Posts:
1702
Joined:
Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:58 pm
Location:
Toulouse, France

This forum is locked. Continue the discussion by creating a new topic on The New Dubstep Forum.
Next

Return to Production, Hardware & Technical