interface question

hardware, software, tips and tricks
Forum rules
By using this "Production" sub-forum, you acknowledge that you have read, understood and agreed with our terms of use for this site. Click HERE to read them. If you do not agree to our terms of use, you must exit this site immediately. We do not accept any responsibility for the content, submissions, information or links contained herein. Users posting content here, do so completely at their own risk.

Quick Link to Feedback Forum
motox2121

interface question

Post by motox2121 » Sun May 29, 2011 2:22 am

Hey guys, I have a presonus audiobox usb 2x2 for my interface, outputting TRS to my KRK rokit studio monitors. I am presently very happy with the way they sound. I also have a 40" HDTV that I use as a second monitor / my main TV that has my HD cable box hooked up to it. Since I love the way my monitors sound, I am trying to route it so that my TV will input to my computer so that my monitors can double as my home theater system.

I've already considered several options, I tried outputting straight from my tv to the speakers w/ rca outputs, this works however it would require me to disconnect/reconnect wires each time i decided to switch from tv to computer use, and the levels were all out of whack and I'd really like to try to avoid doing this.

My main problem is that input-wise my computer/interface is quite lacking. My audiobox only has mic / instrument 1/4" inputs, there are no spdif / rca / hdmi / other stereo inputs.

I thought about buying an HDMI input card, something like this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6815100049 . Would something like this work? instead of my cablebox hooking directly to my tv it would just mean that it would go box > computer > output from vid card to tv (assuming this would work). Not only would this allow me to hear tv through my monitors, but would also double as an HD-DVR.

I also could just buy a new recording interface, and hope to sell this one, which would probably be the easiest, but most expensive option. I know I have seen USB recording interfaces with RCA / optical inputs.

I could also buy another cheap soundcard with an optical input too right? Not sure if I could route it in windows so that my audiobox will constantly stream out sound from my other cheap optical input.

What do you hardware gurus think would be the best/most cost effective choice to get this seemingly-simple task done? If the HDMI card option will work smoothly I think I would be inclined to do that just so I can have dvr too, idk if anyone has any experience with that. I also was wondering if having multiple sound interfaces would case any hardware conflicts / issues.

Thanks alot guys, been dying to hear some intense movie sound!

steeze

Re: interface question

Post by steeze » Sun May 29, 2011 11:49 pm

Would a small mixer not work? One of the low end behringer xenyx mixers should do the job fine, have the output from your interface going to the jack inputs and the output of the tv going to the rca inputs? Unless i've completely misread your situation :cornlol:

motox2121

Post by motox2121 » Mon May 30, 2011 8:33 pm

You mean buy a new cheap interface so my TV will input RCA into that, then plug the outputs of that mixer to the inputs of my new mixer? If that would work I would be down. But i'm not sure that the inputs on my audiobox can be configured to be one stereo input? Idk as its labeled one as mic and one as instrument so I thought they would only be seperate inputs. There has to be an easy solution for this lolol.

Has anyone ever used anything like this b4 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6815100049 ? or any type of tv tuner?

motox2121

Post by motox2121 » Mon May 30, 2011 8:56 pm

Oh nevermind, I see what you are saying, just output both my TRS and my tv's RCA to the mixer, then back out to my monitors. Would the mixer balance levels on the tv / computer? or are there knobs there that will allow me to balance the gain so I don't have to adjust volume everytime changing sources, which would be optimal.

Also, will the mixer output audio in the same format as my audiobox output? I know mine outputs balanced TRS, just want to make sure there would be no loss in quality. So does anyone else think this would be a good option for me? Thanks for the info steezy i hadn't even thought about this obvious option. I'm kind of new to the high-end audio equipment scene.

Thanks again

steeze

Post by steeze » Mon May 30, 2011 9:55 pm

Yeh there would be knobs to get all your levels right :) however I dont think the cheaper behringer mixers have balanced outputs, but im not 100% on that one. Your best option would be to head down to your local music shop and ask them, maybe have a look at some other options if you can afford it as well, behringer have a bit of a bad reputation. Having said that I've never experienced any problems with mine and I've had it a couple of years now. No worries, glad I could help :)

gen_

Post by gen_ » Mon May 30, 2011 10:12 pm

I've never heard of a cheap mixer with balanced TRS outs. That's usually only on the more expensive ones. You may be able to find balanced RCA outs tho, if you don't mind getting cables. In fact if you have rokit g2's you can use both the RCA and TRS sockets at once so if you want to save buying a mixer buy a cable with 1/4 inch at one end nd whatever you need for the TV at the other.

Oh and incase you're wondering if I'm sure that RCA and TRS can play through the speakers at the same time, my Xbox is wired through my rokits RCAs

motox2121

Post by motox2121 » Mon May 30, 2011 10:22 pm

What's the cheapest mixer that has balanced outputs? I only need 1-2 stereo 1/4" inputs and 1 set of rca inputs, along with 1 balanced trs output. Or am I out of luck?

I've also tried to wire my tv w/ rca into the rokits. It definitely works solo. But the RCA took priority over the computer. The computer audio wouldn't play whatsoever at the same time. This means that I would have to disconnect the RCA's every time I would decide to switch sources, which is what I'm trying to avoid ( Unless the levels were SO FAR out of whack i couldn't hear anything! - which would be another problem with that setup)

So if I could find a mixer(w/balanced outputs) thats decently priced I think that would be the best option. Otherwise I'm going to have to find some other type of input to my computer and integrate it at that point in the signal chain instead of post-output.

Thanks so much for the replies, I still cant believe i didn't think about a mixer lol.

motox2121

Post by motox2121 » Tue May 31, 2011 5:53 am

If i bought this http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-502-XEN ... roduct_top and routed rca from my tv to the rca input, and the output TRS from my audiobox to the 1/4 stereo input on this guy. Will this allow me to hear both sources? Is there any way to adjust the gain on an RCA input like that? or will I just have to adjust the gain of my TRS relative to that?

THanks for any help guys. this is driving me crazy.

Dankstep

Post by Dankstep » Tue May 31, 2011 6:04 am

you have no audio out on your interface/computer? could just run it to your tv that way. but i'd definitely look into gettin a new interface if possible. check out ebay daily, never know when you might find a nice deal. i got one of these http://www.amazon.com/M-Audio-FireWire- ... B0000TP588 off ebay for $135 and they cost like 300ish new

motox2121

Post by motox2121 » Tue May 31, 2011 6:10 am

I do have an audio out, my audio out goes to my speakers. I just want to be able to have my speakers play my computer sounds AND my TV sounds. So i'm trying to figure out a way to either input TV sound into my computer or find a MIXER that I can input both into then out to my speakers. If anyone can help thank you so much. Thanks for the advice on ebay. I do agree that getting a new interface would make this alot easier, but if there is something that i can just buy I will do it.

Thanks again

Dankstep

Post by Dankstep » Tue May 31, 2011 7:15 am

an audio interface is essentially a soundcard/mixer in one and you're going to want to eventually upgrade your interface anyways.. can never have too many outs! so the way i see it you should just invest in one now, itll save you money by not buying some little thing just so you can use your monitors with your tv. just my opinion.. like i said i got that 410 for only 135 and it has... (ehem copy pasta)

"Its 4-in/10-out configuration with preamps is perfect for personal recording, routing discrete outputs to a mixer, or directly driving a surround sound system. The on-board ASIO 2-compliant mixer and software control panel provide total routing flexibility - including monitoring with external effects. You also get ultra-low latency software monitoring and zero latency hardware direct monitoring - and two headphone outs with independent level controls let you collaborate with a partner anywhere, anytime. FireWire 410 can even be completely bus-powered for total mobile operation*. Features 2 x8 24-bit analog I/O 192kHz output (output 1 and 2 only; 96kHz on others); 96kHz input Digital I/O w/ S/PDIF, AC3 and DTS (coax and optical) 1 x 1 MIDI I/O Powered via DC supply or FireWire bus* Dual mic/instruments preamps w/ gain control (66dB available gain) and phantom power 2 headphone outs w/ individual level controls"

you could easily get one with as much outs etc for pretty cheap just keep lurkin till you find a good deal

motox2121

Post by motox2121 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:47 pm

hell yeah thanks man, I was just wondering if buying a cheap behringer mixer might be the cheaper option.

Can anyone recommend a lower end usb/firewire interface that has s/pdif or RCA in? All I need it to do is accept an input from my tv and output to TRS.

In the mean time i will be lurking for deals, Thanks anyone who answered

motox2121

Post by motox2121 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:05 am

i saw the m-audio fast track pro which has coaxial spdif in for pretty cheap and got really excited, but I need an OPTICAL in, any recommendations?