Jackknife - Moving On Down The Line (Dubstep/Experimental?)

unsigned forum members' tracks & place for feedback
Forum rules
By using this "Dubs" sub-forum, you acknowledge that you have read, understood and agreed with our terms of use for this site. Click HERE to read them. If you do not agree to our terms of use, you must exit this site immediately. We do not accept any responsibility for the content, submissions, information or links contained herein. Users posting content here, do so completely at their own risk.

Quick Link to Production Forum
Jackknife

Jackknife - Moving On Down The Line (Dubstep/Experimental?)

Post by Jackknife » Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:34 pm

Well i'm back now after a couple month hiatus because my girl broke my laptop screen(Don't worry, many blow jobs we're received in an out of court settlement) and I found this track that I had been working on before it happened, most of it already bounced to audio, did some effect processing and now I need some feedback as to what needs some work. I'm pretty happy with this one, I really think it shows a lot of improvement over what i first started making and it's really got me motivated, but don't let that discourage you from being brutally honest lololol. Thanks in advance and of course feedback for feedback, as long as it's actually feedback, not just cool song bro.

Soundcloud
Last edited by Jackknife on Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Saucedrop

Re: Jackknife - Moving On Down The Line (Dubstep/Experimenta

Post by Saucedrop » Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:44 pm

it couldjust be my personal stylings, but your bass seems to havetoo much midrange and not enough bass. Drums are nicely designed but need to cut through some more. I think a more dynamic drop is needed. Also those kinda screechy FX in the intro and whatnot need to be a lil more dynamic - there kinda dampened and are a little elusive to the ear, all in all good stuff tho.

Check mine out, its a post on here called "First Song Ever.... Weird Dubstep."

Jackknife

Post by Jackknife » Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:50 pm

Thanks dude, I'll crank up that sub abit I really appreciate the feedback! Listening to your as we speak, i'll commetn on your thread for your feedback.

Jackknife

Post by Jackknife » Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:41 am

Bump?

paradigm001

Post by paradigm001 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:00 am

lets see you have a cool intro. The drums hit hard. The basses might have a bit much midrange and a little too loud. I would spend some time on the eq. It would sound killer if you tightened that up. The bass is also drowning out your drums which isint good. But your drums sound good so it has to do with the bass eq levels.
Id say between 1 and 3 k needs to be cut 8 db or so.

If you dont mine check out my latest one http://www.dubstepforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=225327 a bit different then my usual style,
...wanna collab? Im down for new sounds, send me a PM please.

Jackknife

Post by Jackknife » Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:10 am

Super dope dude, good advice there, i'll try and tighten those up right now thank you! EQ is where i'm still learning alot so it's good to have some solid advice on where I can begin working on it. Gonna check yours out right now.

Jackknife

Post by Jackknife » Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:44 am

Alright I did what you said and it definitely helped alot, boosted the sub a bit for more bass, cute between 1 and 3 k a bit, and lowered the overall volum of the basses a little, definitely think it helped, let me know what you think!

ReachZenith

Post by ReachZenith » Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:08 am

Your drums seem a little dampened still at the drop. Just a little bit more boosting and they should stick out a wee bit more (been reading past post). Also the drop is coming in a little soft, you could try widening the stereo of your bassline that comes in at the drop to give it a bit more of the "wow" factor that makes your head kinda fling back...if that makes any sense. Although I really enjoy your ideas. I think it's coming along nicely, just needs a little fine tuning. Keep it up!!

Jackknife

Post by Jackknife » Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:25 am

How do I widen the stero field? lolol i'm using abelton, i'm thinking I could use the utility effect in there to do it but i'm not sure, but I definitely get what your saying, thank you for the advice, I saw your comments on paradigms tracks, i'll add you up on soundcloud too!

ReachZenith

Post by ReachZenith » Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:31 am

Thanks man, I'll follow back! I use FL Studio so im not familiar with Abelton but I would think that they would have a "Stereo Effect" plug-in of sorts. Just look around for anything that might look like it deals with your stereo. Also if you are using the VST Massive then you can use the dimension expander under the effects section.

Jackknife

Post by Jackknife » Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:37 am

I do use massive, but unfortunately as stated above I had bounced everything to audio and my girlfriend broke my screen and I lost my HD as well so my patches for this song are gone as well, my only saving grace was that they we're bounced to audio or I would of been fucked so hard I wouldof cried lolol Yeah utility is my tool then, thanks for the advice dude!

ReachZenith

Post by ReachZenith » Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:15 am

Oh ok that kinda sucks man, and not a problem. I'll be keeping an eye out for your next tunes!

Nealge

Post by Nealge » Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:15 am

This is kind of different. That's a good thing! Like what most people said, the basses are a little too high up in the sonic spectrum to really be called "basses." And that's really a situation of just coming up with a different patch.

That sucks about your computer man.
Soundcloud Sequencer drenched, hefty 80's synth leads, and two drops in the same tune! What a bargain!
Soundcloud Proggy melody, up-tempo Drumstepish style, over the top drums, and some unintentional bars of 2/4 thrown in for good measure.

Nealge

Post by Nealge » Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:17 am

Oh yeah, I dunno about the sample. I think Zomboy kind of owns that one now. That'd be like putting "ja-ja-ja-ja-ja-ja-ja-ja drop the bass" into a song. See what I mean?
Soundcloud Sequencer drenched, hefty 80's synth leads, and two drops in the same tune! What a bargain!
Soundcloud Proggy melody, up-tempo Drumstepish style, over the top drums, and some unintentional bars of 2/4 thrown in for good measure.

Jackknife

Post by Jackknife » Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:00 pm

Thank you all for the wonderful advice :] i'll be pumpin something out here soon using it all, I appreciate it :] and I don't think i've heard the song he used it in link me? He prolly bought the same sample pack as me so it's all free game lolol

paradigm001

Post by paradigm001 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:27 pm

yea the bass sounds much less harsh and better!, your getting better at this. Your starting to get the hang of it. Thats really cool.
...wanna collab? Im down for new sounds, send me a PM please.