Starting out in dubstep and terminology.

hardware, software, tips and tricks
Forum rules
By using this "Production" sub-forum, you acknowledge that you have read, understood and agreed with our terms of use for this site. Click HERE to read them. If you do not agree to our terms of use, you must exit this site immediately. We do not accept any responsibility for the content, submissions, information or links contained herein. Users posting content here, do so completely at their own risk.

Quick Link to Feedback Forum
KrEs

Starting out in dubstep and terminology.

Post by KrEs » Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:34 pm

Hello,

I'm a new user on this forum and I have to say that its the most comprehensive and informative for people who want to make dubstep. I just wanted to ask, what would the process of making a dubstep song be (especially for people like me who are interested to make dubstep). And before you answer that question, yes I do know the basics in music theory (I know the different clefs, what staves are, names of notes etc). And I also wanted you to ask if you guys could point me to or give me a list of dubstep production terminology definitions, if that makes sense. For example, stuff like LFO, compression, distortion etc. (Please don't judge me)

If a similar topic has already been made, I'm sorry. If this is the case, it'd be good if you could point me to it :D

Thanks in advance...

Turnipish_Thoughts

Re: Starting out in dubstep and terminology.

Post by Turnipish_Thoughts » Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:47 pm

Welcome!

You should go Here and read up on as much as you can. :4:
Soundcloud
Altron wrote:The big part is just getting your arrangement down.
Serious shit^
Brothulhu wrote:...EQing with the subtlety of a drunk viking lumberjack

ChadDub

Post by ChadDub » Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:48 pm

Ok, first off, google and youtube are your best buds, as well as this forum. You should search on youtube for random shit such as "How To Make Dubstep", "How To Make Wobble Bass", etc. and watch what people do. You don't need to memorize whatever settings they use and you don't need to have the exact programs they use, you just need to understand and learn what the principle of what they're doing is.

What an LFO is is a Low Frequency Oscillator. Basically it just makes whatever it's linked to wobble, or go from a higher to lower setting back and forth. This is a common tool in dubstep because it's how people get their bass to wobble. You assign the LFO to the Cutoff Filter of your synth.

Compression is complicated, you're gonna have to learn it by yourself. I could explain it but it's just too long and you really just have to figure it out on your own to get your own feel for it and stuff like that. Google it. Youtube it.

Distortion is basically "messing up" a sound. This is common in dubstep (and in music like Rock N Roll and Heavy Metal) because of the rough sound and timbre it gives things.

What DAW, or Digital Audio Workstation, are you using?

KrEs

Post by KrEs » Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:20 am

Thanks for replying so quickly. I have looked at the HUGE guide to making dubstep and its awesome... I just dont understand the Mixing and mastering topic. When i click on it, I don't understand what the what it's about and what it is for... What is mixing and mastering? (lol). Oh and I use Ableton Live :D. And I also want to know more about separating a dubstep song into sections... I want to know how many aspects in a dubstep song there are and what they are called. By 'aspects' I mean things like 'drums', 'bass', 'the drop' etc. If i really wanted to make a dubstep song (which I do), is there a specific order in which I should do them and how exactly do I do each part?

ChadDub

Post by ChadDub » Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:26 am

Well, generally, dubstep songs go like this:

32 Bar Intro
32 Bar Drop
Repeat
_____

But seriously, if you want to learn about sectioning and composing dubstep songs, I suggest doing what I did and go listen to your favorite dubstep track (or just one that has a common flow to it) and pay attention and write down how long parts are as it goes along. Like, 32 bar intro, etc. If you don't know how to count bars, all it is is 4 counts. Like, when you're tapping to a beat in quarter notes, every 4 quarter notes add up to a bar.

Mixing and mastering are two separate things. Mixing is when you're making your song and EQing (Equalizing) and leveling all your instruments like your drums and synths and whatnot, making them all sound good together and not clashing against one another. Mastering is when you send it off to a mastering engineer to make it louder and sound a bit punchier. NOTE: Do not use the "It isn't mastered" excuse, you should try to get your song/mix sounding as good as possible before sending it to a mastering engineer. Mastering will not magically make your track amazing.

KrEs

Post by KrEs » Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:49 am

Well, let's say that I do that (listen to a dubstep track and count the bars) and I get the hang of the songs structure (intro, drop etc). What about the more specific parts? What should I work on first in my song? Drums? Melody/Leads? Bassline? Should I think about FX first?

ChadDub

Post by ChadDub » Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:07 am

Idk how to really answer that. I'd say just go with the flow.

wormcode

Post by wormcode » Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:39 am

Do whatever you want, don't pay attention to rules. Too much standard same sounding stuff these days. Make some weird shit with odd structures and sounds you like.

There really is no dubstep terms when it comes to engineering, it's all the same as any other genre.

Zebedeh

Im confused

Post by Zebedeh » Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:04 pm

Hey guys, I am new to dubstep, I have been looking around the web for a while now seems you use a DAW to sequence everything together, and plug-ins to alter noises,
But what i dont see is a program that writes the original loops them selves, When people write songs, how did they write those melody's? Really want help.

wormcode

Re: Im confused

Post by wormcode » Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:48 pm

Zebedeh wrote:Hey guys, I am new to dubstep, I have been looking around the web for a while now seems you use a DAW to sequence everything together, and plug-ins to alter noises,
But what i dont see is a program that writes the original loops them selves, When people write songs, how did they write those melody's? Really want help.
Within the DAW. Most people use audio (bits of chopped up waveforms pasted together) and some use MIDI notes in piano rolls. MIDI usually comes first, then is exported as audio... but not always. So you would set your DAW to record to a new MIDI track, and then play some melodies on your keyboard, or alternatively just program the notes in with a mouse. Or both.