Monument - Tremor [Deep Dub]

unsigned forum members' tracks & place for feedback
Forum rules
By using this "Dubs" sub-forum, you acknowledge that you have read, understood and agreed with our terms of use for this site. Click HERE to read them. If you do not agree to our terms of use, you must exit this site immediately. We do not accept any responsibility for the content, submissions, information or links contained herein. Users posting content here, do so completely at their own risk.

Quick Link to Production Forum
chrondor

Monument - Tremor [Deep Dub]

Post by chrondor » Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:53 pm

chrondor

Re: Monument - Tremor [Deep Dub]

Post by chrondor » Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:09 am

sorry but bump. I just reviewed like five people's tracks and this one of mine was floating to the bottom of the page unattended, this sub-forum is awful everyone posts material but no one critiques, it's gotta be a two way street to work out. I really don't mind constructive criticism or even plain old douchery. help a brotha out and make fun of my track a little please! i'm looking forward to waking up to all of your insults

dj_artery

Post by dj_artery » Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:44 am

I like the intro, it's a nice start :P

Liking the vinyl sound you got running on the intro - Always a nice touch I find ;)

I firmly believe that @ 01:22:00 you can/should stick in a stutter vox! - 16th notes, high passed and allow it to slowly diffuse into the ambience evident through the reverb (so make it pre-fader reverb send) and then introduce something big.

I'm going to assume you're going for a semi-middle-eastern feel, and I really like it (went for that myself with my 'Body Rock' - next to shred apart and re-vamp), but it comes in and disapears - need to embelish on it fruther mate, only example that comes to mind is Rob Sparx? Check him out.

Drums aren't there (believe me I'm guilt-full of this!), they're nice, even with the reverb, but not on the BD, they need alot of attention - Or if you want to keep them, and I think this would be a good idea: layer hard samples ontop and keep the ambiance of the other but lessen it. But the latter also needs some slight changes - Crop the hard-right panned shaker a bit, I personally feel it's conflicting with the reverb in the sense that it's decay is v.long you want it cropped down to say 1/8th or at most 16th and let the reverb do the talking?

For the hard drums I'm thinking BD on beat one, snare on three and an interesting shaker shuffling 16th's between left and right channels - this would solidify the drums but keep that groove feeling, where atm they are too distant and waving and odd, nice, but odd beat? If you don't have 'hard' samples, don't want to pay and/or don't want to infringe copyright (as I do - support the industry! ;-) ) - Music Radar or Computer Music!

Again, sounding somewhat empty atm - needs alot of work, but then all projects do from ground up! I believe there are far too many conflicting ideas going on at the moment? almost as if simply 'this there, that there...' and I lose interest, you need to re-introduce the same rhythm or melody, but with something different to keep it coherent but also new and fresh? What do you want to be the main focus of this track? Work with this concept, extrapolate and embelish it!

I hope this helps mate :)

Artery :mrgreen:
Constantly working on production,..
http://www.djartery.com

VRT & Eyeworks Television, 9 Nov 2014.
MC Rod Azaln, (Dubster.co.uk, 2013).

Twitter: @djartery
AIM: djartery
info@djartery.com
bookings@djartery.com

chrondor

Post by chrondor » Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:03 pm

Thank you! I'm using a sample pack meant for metal and hard rock, I had been listening to a lot of Distance while I was writing this and I heard he used samples from live metal drum bands. I've learned a lot since I made this track and that's why I uploaded it, I need help hearing out the little things that I forgot. The kick and snare are both only one layer deep and I think that is contributing to the thinness you're hearing. I'll layer them up, and see what that does to the mix. I also think I know exactly what you mean by let the vernb do the talking for the shakers and hats, and I'm pretty certain I know what reverb patch I'm going to try slapping on that channel. Thank you very much for the constructive feedback.