Facebook 'Like To Download' app

hardware, software, tips and tricks
Forum rules
By using this "Production" sub-forum, you acknowledge that you have read, understood and agreed with our terms of use for this site. Click HERE to read them. If you do not agree to our terms of use, you must exit this site immediately. We do not accept any responsibility for the content, submissions, information or links contained herein. Users posting content here, do so completely at their own risk.

Quick Link to Feedback Forum
Quantum Breaks

Facebook 'Like To Download' app

Post by Quantum Breaks » Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:47 pm

hi folks,
not sure if i am posting this in the right place but here goes. i am trying to set up a free download of my track on my FB page using the 'Like To Download' app. i have ran into a problem. it doesnt give u an option to just upload a file directly. it wants a URL so i uploaded my track to sendspace and pasted the URL for it into the app on FB but when u click it to DL the track it just takes u to sendspace. this is not wot i want. i want it to be so that u click the link on my FB page and the track starts DLing directly. does anyone know if there is a way to do this using this app? or should i be using a different app? if so wot is this app? its probly some stupidly simple thing that i am missing as usual but it is bugging the hell out of me. i cannot find any tutorials for this app online and thought maybe someone here has used it? cheers!

Soundcloud

Maxxan

Re: Facebook 'Like To Download' app

Post by Maxxan » Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:09 pm

Instead of linking it the URL of the page that says click to download on sendspace (the one in the top of your browser) you send it the direct link to the file. So right click the 'press here to download'-link on the page and then properties or whatever and it should show the link of the file, something like http://www.sendspace.com/1257asdf12/mysong.mp3, ending with the filename extension. Link that on Facebook and it should work (Theoretically, at least, I haven't tried it).

Edit: Also don't use wot instead of what :u:
Hircine wrote:dsf is like bane: throws you into a pit and if you are able to crawl out of it on your own, you are good enough for the forum.
Soundcloud

Freshest track atm.

Quantum Breaks

Post by Quantum Breaks » Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:28 pm

ah right ok i'll give that a try. thanks for your reply. 'what' a nice guy you are ;)

Quantum Breaks

Post by Quantum Breaks » Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:44 pm

thanks Maxxan that worked. i knew it would be something simple. you can now download my track here if you're interested: http://on.fb.me/T95bsF

Soundcloud

Maxxan

Post by Maxxan » Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:01 pm

No worries mate, and 'what' really looks a lot better. Doesn't feel like I'm explaining stuff to a 12 year old anymore haha. Cheers!

Not gonna like you on facebook though, you should have linked the direct download and maybe you would have gotten a few listens haha. Tactical error bruv :Q:
Hircine wrote:dsf is like bane: throws you into a pit and if you are able to crawl out of it on your own, you are good enough for the forum.
Soundcloud

Freshest track atm.

Quantum Breaks

Post by Quantum Breaks » Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:20 pm

haha ok mate that's sound. I think you'll find the FB like to download thingy is a 'tactical error' a lot of people are making these days to great effect. FB likes are important unfortunately. But that's perhaps a debate for another time and place. Thanks for your help anyway though. Ta ta for now.

wub

Post by wub » Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:24 pm

Quantum Breaks wrote:FB likes are important
How do you figure that?

Also, people are still likely to press Like, get your link ( http://www.sendspace.com/file/23b093 ) then click Unlike.

OfficialDAPT

Post by OfficialDAPT » Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:38 pm

wub wrote:Also, people are still likely to press Like, get your link ( http://www.sendspace.com/file/23b093 ) then click Unlike.
Works every time :)
7 year old BROstep/Trapstep/Chillstep producer from India. Young. Talented. 7 Years Old. Super skilled for age. Signed to NOW22. Biography written in 3rd person on soundcloud OBVI. The next Skrillex. Wait I don't even like him anymore LOL. Super talented. Only 6 years old.

wub

Post by wub » Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:42 pm

End result is still the same though, tune has been distributed.

Quantum Breaks

Post by Quantum Breaks » Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:03 pm

well wub my basic way of thinking with the FB likes thing is (and i know it's pie in the sky dreaming) that when it comes to getting bookings to play out and when people in positions of authority in the music industry are looking at new talent unfortunately if you have a decent following on FB they use that to guage wether or not you're worth booking. This is of course just what i have been told and may be wrong but in the superficial world we are living in it makes sense to me. I don't like the idea of being noticed on a 'quantity not quality' basic but i have been led to believe that this is the case. As for the follow-download-unfollow scenario the same could be said for a lot of situations in social networking. Or a real world comparison would be joining a free trial for some shop or something, getting some benefits from the trial and then opting out. This kind of stuff happens all the time. The whole point in the system is that if people like what you're offering they will hopefully want updates on whatever is next and stay locked in to whatever medium you're using. But hey perhaps these are just the ramblings of a poor naive fool. I'd like to think there is at least a bit of logic in my ramblings though lol.

Quantum Breaks

Post by Quantum Breaks » Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:05 pm

oh and btw wub thanks for liking my FB page lol.... Unless you have already unliked it..... in which case shame on you! :)

wub

Post by wub » Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:18 pm

Quantum Breaks wrote:when it comes to getting bookings to play out and when people in positions of authority in the music industry are looking at new talent unfortunately if you have a decent following on FB they use that to guage wether or not you're worth booking.
God forbid people should book you based on talent :roll:

Quantum Breaks

Post by Quantum Breaks » Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:53 pm

lol like i said the above opinions r not my own. just what i have been told when lookin for tips. don't shoot the messenger

Quantum Breaks

Post by Quantum Breaks » Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:08 pm

*sigh* and going back to the original point of this thread... turns out that didn't work... its still just redirecting to sendspace so i am none the wiser on my original query :( which is strange coz when i tested it the first time it did work grrr

Josh Starz

Post by Josh Starz » Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:17 pm

Quantum Breaks wrote:*sigh* and going back to the original point of this thread... turns out that didn't work... its still just redirecting to sendspace so i am none the wiser on my original query :( which is strange coz when i tested it the first time it did work grrr
Just upload to soundcloud privately and use the direct mp3 link..

Quantum Breaks

Post by Quantum Breaks » Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:19 pm

ok josh thanks i'll try that

Quantum Breaks

Post by Quantum Breaks » Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:39 pm

well i know this must be gettin a bit tedious but that didnt work either. it did when i tested it but as soon as i was not logged into SC it came up with the 'oops we couldn't find that track' message.

Maxxan

Post by Maxxan » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:12 pm

You have to use the secret link to the right of the screen on the private track man, the other one only works for you since its your track...
Soundcloud

Freshest track atm.

Quantum Breaks

Post by Quantum Breaks » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:12 pm

nah that still just takes you to the DL page rather than directly DLing it. i know there is a way of doing it though i have DLed tracks from other FB pages this way before.