Here to become an ARTIST, not a copycat. PLEASE HELP!!!

hardware, software, tips and tricks
Forum rules
By using this "Production" sub-forum, you acknowledge that you have read, understood and agreed with our terms of use for this site. Click HERE to read them. If you do not agree to our terms of use, you must exit this site immediately. We do not accept any responsibility for the content, submissions, information or links contained herein. Users posting content here, do so completely at their own risk.

Quick Link to Feedback Forum
BrainSick

Here to become an ARTIST, not a copycat. PLEASE HELP!!!

Post by BrainSick » Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:35 pm

Hello,

My name is Austin Reed but I am also known as BrainSick. For the past 6 months, I have worked exclusively in Ableton Live 8 and NI Massive. During this time I have had guidance from a fellow electronic producer whom I met through mutual friends. The dude is a GENIOUS when it comes to production and has a lot to offer. I've learned a lot about filtering my drums, chopping vocals, using compression, EQing, built a snare with some reverb that sounds nice, made a few tunes but just not satisfied with what I'm producing. I'm not a complete noob but I am still very green. I just feel like my ability is limited by knowledge, or lack thereof. During this time I have read a TON of threads in the "Production" section, as well as the "Dubstep Bible", to try to make sense of some of the things I need to know that aren't general knowledge. I picked up a few tricks and understand it for the most part and it has been extremely helpful. Still though, there are times I read things and the terminology doesn't click or I find myself wondering, "What are they talking about? And what software are they using?" For instance.... Resampling? Rinse and Wash? etc.

Basically, I am here to get specific advice now that I have created my own username and hopefully contribute to your community here on DSF. Some advice I am interested in receiving is based on how to create my OWN sound. Obviously, in dubstep, there are a lot of similar sounds and general things a producer does to create the music. However, if you are a seasoned musician and you can analyze what you are listening to, you'll hear that each artist has their own sound and style. I know I can't get specific info on how to create that because that is entirely up to ME, but I would like to explain, so hear me out:

Anyone who can offer help or give links to GOOD tutorials on the following issues would be greatly appreciated. Also, I will check back often for anyone who wants to ask questions or make it more personal and communicate through this threat with advice. Please note, as stated before, I am using ABLETON LIVE 8 and NI Massive...

Building kicks (layering, eq, etc.)
Building snare (layering, eq, etc.)
How Massive works (building basses, leads, synths, pads, risers etc.)
What are all the sounds in the oscillator sound banks and how do I know which ones to choose when building an instrument?
Where to find good drum samples
What is compression and how can I use it effictively
Is there any other software that is useful for use ion Ableton and creating music (Synths, plug-ins, etc.)?
Tips on building risers (not ones that are trash)
What should I know about Spectrum and how it works?
What are some of the most useful "Devices" in ableton? And how can they be used for practical applications?

Basically, I know a little about Compression, a little about EQ, I utilize spectrum to the best of my ability- which is limited, I can chop and arrange. I understand envelopes, I understand LFOs, oscillators and how to navigate and use Massive. I have more difficulty with modulation. Like where to place and LFO or an Envelope or a Macro and what changes those make. I know how to make a sub bass (simpole sin) but I want to learn more about "lead basses", And I would like to learn more about building drums so that I can have a few diferent kicks and a few different snares to use so that I don't have the same kick and snare through every song!

I know this is a lot, but I'm passionate about learning any way I can since I don't have the means to go to school for it. And I figure from what I've read, there seems to be a wealth of knowledge here. ANY help would be appreciated!! Even if you only cover one subject. I'm all in for ANYTHING.

If you want an idea of where I am production wise, please visit my soundcloud @
http://www.soundcloud.com/brainsickmusic
Please, disregard the crappy songs on there as I have grown VERY quickly in my production. A better idea of where I am is my most recent song, Supernatural Ke$ha remix. I chose to do remixes because they give me some groundwork and I can focus on production and not have to worry as much about composition. Although, I have moved away from that and am currently working on my own stuff, as I feel comfortable in doing so. Again, thanks for your time and attention!!!!

wub

Re: Here to become an ARTIST, not a copycat. PLEASE HELP!!!

Post by wub » Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:45 pm

Have you used the search function in relation to any of your questions?

BrainSick

Post by BrainSick » Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:50 pm

Negative. First day on the site. Just hoping for info on a personal level because each person offers different tools for use and different ideas. But I will check that out!

fragments

Post by fragments » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:01 pm

I kinda feel like if you have read the Production Bible and a lot of threads in the production section it would have answered almost all your questions. Also, as wub said, search function (though I recommend the stickied google search for DSF)
SunkLo wrote: If ragging on the 'shortcut to the top' mentality makes me a hater then shower me in haterade.

mromgwtf

Post by mromgwtf » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:06 pm

Holy shit man.. I have one tip. STOP USING OVER DISTORTED LOUD MODERN TALKING
Exilium wrote:distorted square

BrainSick

Post by BrainSick » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:09 pm

Mostly my issue has been I read a lot, but understand some. I'm not sure if it's because I don't understand the vocabulary of certain things production related or if there's a disconnect in which software those people are working in. Like I said, I do understand a lot of stuff and I keep up with discussions but sometimes I get lost when they discuss something I've never tried. Usually I learn better visually but If I had someone to discuss software specific topics, I can get it better because I'm more familiar with it. There's lots of general knowledge that can be applied in any software as it is all the same. So, I get that stuff too. It's the fine details that get me. And I skimmed through certain parts of the production bible. I haven't sat down and went through it page by page by page. Mostly looked at things I knew I could comprehend and kept it simple as not to get ahead of myself.

BrainSick

Post by BrainSick » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:12 pm

mromgwtf wrote:Holy shit man.. I have one tip. STOP USING OVER DISTORTED LOUD MODERN TALKING
Hey, thanks for the tip. How productive.... So got any real advice? Or do you prefer being a jerk towards those who are legitimately taking this $h!t seriously and trying to learn? How obnoxious. But if you'd like to contribute to productive conversation rather than play grammar police, I'm all ears.

fragments

Post by fragments » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:15 pm

^How is that a grammar police comment? I think he actually listened to your tunes...you posted the link...

???
SunkLo wrote: If ragging on the 'shortcut to the top' mentality makes me a hater then shower me in haterade.

SunkLo

Post by SunkLo » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:16 pm

Learn. Experiment. Google shit you don't understand.
More time doing those three things and less time doing all other things. Repeat for several years.
Blaze it -4.20dB
nowaysj wrote:Raising a girl in this jizz filled world is not the easiest thing.
Phigure wrote:I haven't heard such a beautiful thing since that time Jesus sang Untrue
If I ever get banned I'll come back as SpunkLo, just you mark my words.

BrainSick

Post by BrainSick » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:19 pm

fragments wrote:^How is that a grammar police comment? I think he actually listened to your tunes...you posted the link...

???
Sorry, thought he was refering to my words in all caps, which I tend to do. Not sure why.. My apologies, gentleman. I really am here to learn! So thanks for listening. By modern talking, what do you mean? My instruments sound like dookie, huh?

Benji

Post by Benji » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:21 pm

I couldn't be bothered to read the whole thing, but it sounds like you just want quick results which is pretty impossible, so start with the basics and read the Production Bible

fragments

Post by fragments » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:26 pm

Compression, best article on it I've ever read: http://www.dnbscene.com/article/1474-co ... n-tutorial

EQ, best article on it I've ever read: http://www.dnbscene.com/article/88-thin ... q-tutorial

Read the Money Shot Thread for gain staging advice. There is a lot of crap to shift through, but just pay attention to what the user Macc is talking about.

These three resources set me on a path were I had enough knowledge to start experimenting.practicing.

BrainSick

Post by BrainSick » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:28 pm

Thanks, Benji. Yes, I amnxious to learn and it's frustrating to create a tune and be unsatisfied with it knowing that if I had the knowledge to do it, I could do it. Not saying it's easy, but there's no "coursework" to follow, there is no guide as to what to learn and in what sequential order. So basically, I feel like I'm chasing my tail, sometimes. Or I watch a tutorial and it's some idiot 12 year old that sounds like total crap. I knew if I came here, I could at least find quality discussion from people who take this seriously and put in time and effort into production. I'm just trying my hardest to do the same with the little resources I have available. Tough to find really good info, especially when you are new to the production world. Thanks for the advice Sunklo, that's my plan. Maybe I should come here with more specific topics while I'm at my workstation and encounter a problem. Just hard to translate the information I do find credible and useful to my software if it is discussing "general ideas" about production. If that makes sense?

Triphosphate

Post by Triphosphate » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:29 pm

BrainSick wrote:By modern talking, what do you mean? My instruments sound like dookie, huh?
He means the most instantly recognizable and overused wavetable in massive.
fragments wrote:Compression, best article on it I've ever read: http://www.dnbscene.com/article/1474-co ... n-tutorial

EQ, best article on it I've ever read: http://www.dnbscene.com/article/88-thin ... q-tutorial

Read the Money Shot Thread for gain staging advice. There is a lot of crap to shift through, but just pay attention to what the user Macc is talking about.

These three resources set me on a path were I had enough knowledge to start experimenting.practicing.
^Take this man's advice. Also, check in the videos in my signature, if you get a chance, and want to see what the moneyshot thread covers in practice. I have a video that covers headroom and gain staging, and I'm working on a compression primer video tonight, too.

mromgwtf

Post by mromgwtf » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:32 pm

By modern talking, I mean the modern talking wavetable from massive. It is the worst and most overused sound in dub/bro step ever.

Tip: compress stuff only when you really need it.
Another tip: turn your volume up so sound at -6db will sound already loud for you. It's great for mixing.
Exilium wrote:distorted square

BrainSick

Post by BrainSick » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:36 pm

fragments wrote:Compression, best article on it I've ever read: http://www.dnbscene.com/article/1474-co ... n-tutorial

^^^ THIS!!! Thank you, Fragments!!! I have sifted through the money shot thread because one of my songs was SO HORRIBLE in the mix and master. When I heard it on headphones and various systems it was pure crap! So, since then I've started focusing on EQing, dropping my levels and mixing at lower volumes. Then, fixing it in the mastering. I understand that it's better to take away from frequencies than to add? Makes sense.. Adding just makes it muddy and sound horrible. Taking away makes it crisp and clear, while keeping the important elements. So I'm learning about that part, slowly. It's quite difficult.

Hey,mromgwtf, how do I turn my volume up? The master volume? I know it sounds stupid, but each instrument has it's own volume AND the master inside massive that can be altered. Then, of course, there's the master which controls all audio coming out equally?

BrainSick

Post by BrainSick » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:39 pm

Triphosphate wrote:
BrainSick wrote:By modern talking, what do you mean? My instruments sound like dookie, huh?
He means the most instantly recognizable and overused wavetable in massive.

^Take this man's advice. Also, check in the videos in my signature, if you get a chance, and want to see what the moneyshot thread covers in practice. I have a video that covers headroom and gain staging, and I'm working on a compression primer video tonight, too.
I'll definitely do that! Thanky you guys for all the help!

BrainSick

Post by BrainSick » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:47 pm

Does anybody think Massive has it's limitations or any weaknesses in creating instruments? I know it's probably the best for making bass sounds, but what about all the other sounds? Is there any reason I should invest in another plug-in> I've already invested a ton just for Massive because someone assured me I couldn't go wrong. Took forever just to save for it, just didn't wanna be misled.. I really haven't got into sound design enough to know all the capabilities it does possess. I plan on reading the Sound Design thread tonight. Just noticed it today.. Was it just posted recently?

Benji

Post by Benji » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:53 pm

BrainSick wrote:Thanks, Benji. Yes, I amnxious to learn and it's frustrating to create a tune and be unsatisfied with it knowing that if I had the knowledge to do it, I could do it. Not saying it's easy, but there's no "coursework" to follow, there is no guide as to what to learn and in what sequential order. So basically, I feel like I'm chasing my tail, sometimes. Or I watch a tutorial and it's some idiot 12 year old that sounds like total crap. I knew if I came here, I could at least find quality discussion from people who take this seriously and put in time and effort into production. I'm just trying my hardest to do the same with the little resources I have available. Tough to find really good info, especially when you are new to the production world. Thanks for the advice Sunklo, that's my plan. Maybe I should come here with more specific topics while I'm at my workstation and encounter a problem. Just hard to translate the information I do find credible and useful to my software if it is discussing "general ideas" about production. If that makes sense?

I'm sure everyone can relate to that but it literally takes time and application, I didn't know what I needed to learn when I started either or where to really begin but you just crack on with it and eventually you'll have pieced together enough of the picture to start making tracks that you're happy with. It seems a bit blunt but for reals just find a starting point and expand from there, a good bit of advice is don't believe every production tip you hear, always research information/techniques that you discover.

And personally I got a bit bored of the Massive sound, but it's totally down to the individual, plenty of people use it and process their sounds enough to make it sound unique

Triphosphate

Post by Triphosphate » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:58 pm

BrainSick wrote:Does anybody think Massive has it's limitations or any weaknesses in creating instruments? I know it's probably the best for making bass sounds, but what about all the other sounds? Is there any reason I should invest in another plug-in> I've already invested a ton just for Massive because someone assured me I couldn't go wrong. Took forever just to save for it, just didn't wanna be misled.. I really haven't got into sound design enough to know all the capabilities it does possess. I plan on reading the Sound Design thread tonight. Just noticed it today.. Was it just posted recently?
Massive, like any other synth, is going to have limitations. But that someone who assured you that you couldn't go wrong with it didn't totally mislead you; it's powerful, it's intuitive, and it has some nice wavetables. I wouldn't say massive is the best for making bass sounds. FM synthesis holds that title, IMO. Also, massive isn't limited to making bass sounds, you can get really creative making leads, pads, arpeggios, etc. with it. The biggest limitation with massive, to me, is the fact that a lot of wavetables are immediately recognizable (like modern talking) which means they've been rinsed to the point of mediocrity.

I don't think you should invest in any other plugins at the moment. Get to know the tools you have very well before you decide it's time to invest in another. In fact, if I were you I'd fall back to a simpler synth (preferably a DAW native one) and master it, first. Realize, also, that a lot of the magic happens not inside the synth itself, but in the processing you apply to it after.