High pitched wobble thing??

SylV

High pitched wobble thing??

Post by SylV » Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:16 pm

Hi everyone, I'm into music production for a while now and I listen to a lot of EDM, and there is a bass in some songs that I want to make but I don't know how ;(

Here's an example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLXY_Qj3 ... e=youtu.be

Sorry for my bad English ;)

DJoe

Re: High pitched wobble thing??

Post by DJoe » Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:18 pm

so you want to make a high pitched bass....
https://www.mixcloud.com/joseph-jackson/spring-mix-2015/
Think you're big boy cos you got a beard
Bullets will make your face look weird

SylV

Post by SylV » Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:24 pm

Sort of yeah, but this ones sound different

DJoe

Post by DJoe » Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:45 pm

do you not see how that is an oxymoron lol
https://www.mixcloud.com/joseph-jackson/spring-mix-2015/
Think you're big boy cos you got a beard
Bullets will make your face look weird

NinjaEdit

Post by NinjaEdit » Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:40 pm

It's called a machine gun bass. Just play it in the lead frequencies.

Use a saw wave to LFO the amp and possibly filter.

WolfCryOfficial

Post by WolfCryOfficial » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:46 am

Everyone here is acting like he is an idiot instead of helping him.
Hey man, here is a little advice on what you can do.

You should pick up a little bit of knowledge on compression and multiband distortion.
To be basic, compression would be pressing your sound together such as, if your low end is at volume 8 and your high end is at volume 10, and your compressor is at volume 9, everything will be volume 9 (with it set to the right parameters.)

Multiband distortion is a way to apply effects, such as bitcrushing, saturation, overdrive, and others to different frequencies. Instead of applying overdrive to your entire sound, you can just apply it to the highs, or to the mids, or to the lows, individually. That way you have a very good grasp over your sound.

Now to create sounds like this to be to the point, you'll want to in whatever synthesizer you're using, make your sound modulated by a sawtooth/saw/ramp wave. And you'll want to select a variety of waves or wave tables that produce high pitched noises. If you're using massive, any digital or analog waveform will do. After you've modulated that into a pattern of saw waves it should sound very bouncy and spiky and plucky.

Onto the external effects, you'll want to put open up a multiple band window, however you do it. (I don't know what daw you use) And you'll want to apply bits of saturation and overdrive to the middle frequencies and plenty of overdrive to the high frequencies. Be careful with saturation, it can sometimes produce a lot of white noise which will fry your sound and make it a pain rather than pleasure.

After you've done this, copy and paste the sound a few times. So that now you have 3 tracks playing the same thing, go back and edit both of them just slightly. Maybe add a bit of reverb or maybe make one of them start 1/4th a second after the other to get a hollow effect. Try panning them across the sound spectrum.

Then when you are happy, grab a compressor and compress all the layers together, be really touchy and careful, pay attention to how you are adjusting it. Distortion can cause messy problems and this will bring your sound together as a whole. If your middle distortion happened to be really crazy and your high distortion wasn't, a compressor will help you bring the two layers together to still sound crazy, but be in unison with each other in terms of volume, mixing, and fequency movement.

Here is a good example of the techniques i used. This is a track in progress so feedback would be appreciated but not necessary, they aren't very wobbly but they produced big high pitch bass and i could wobble them if i want. Also this isn't shameless self promotion, just an example that the method i just described really works! :D
Soundcloud

I seriously hoped i helped since everyone just prodded you. Goodluck!
A little tune of mine :D
Soundcloud

SylV

Post by SylV » Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:36 pm

Oh my god thank you :D