It is impossible for one to go back to dnb after hearing...

debate, appreciation, interviews, reviews (events or releases), videos, radio shows
intoccabile

It is impossible for one to go back to dnb after hearing...

Post by intoccabile » Wed Nov 09, 2005 6:30 am

DUBSTEP

Me and many of my mates come from a dnb background. I've been into it since 94, and making beats for a couple of years.

Then one day I heard a mix from kode9, and a tune called " Indian dub " by Skream totally converted me. It was over. It was like 1994 for me, all over again. I then proceeded to convert the people around me... ^_^

Recently, I tried going back to dnb. I failed ! 8) Good for me !

Anyone else come from a dnb background here ? Any similar experiences ?
http://WWW.FYUTCHAFLEX.CA
http://WWW.MTLGRIME.BLOGSPOT.COM
http://WWW.TWITTER.COM/INTOCCABILE
http://WWW.MYSPACE.COM/FYUTCHAFLEX

Digital releases available on Digital-tunes, i-tunes, rhapsody, amazon, addictech, E-Music, Groupie tunes, E-Music, Trackitdown.

gutter

Post by gutter » Wed Nov 09, 2005 9:17 am

My own roots are a bit older and more eclectic, but I get the impression that your experiences are very similar to many dubstep converts, who all seem to come from a d'n'b background.

thinking

Post by thinking » Wed Nov 09, 2005 9:34 am

Yeah I was/am a DnB head for about 11ish years now. Going back quite a way I used to put nites on and play out a lot, but dropped out of the scene a few years ago as I got bored of the music.

In the last year or so there's a few records that have been flicking my switch - you just have to look in the right places.

There's plenty of jaded ex-junglists who are into dubstep, and who post on this board. You're not alone mate. ;)

[b]racket

Re: It is impossible for one to go back to dnb after hearing

Post by [b]racket » Wed Nov 09, 2005 9:46 am

Intoccabile wrote:
I still follow dnb. Dont hear much these days that im really into though. The guy i live with makes dnb with Tayla & Mc Conrad and has some stuff forthcoming on Good Looking (a track called Drumtoolz).

I will be going to hear Bukem play his first set on the Fabric system in a couple of weeks which im quite looking forward too.

pete_bubonic

Re: It is impossible for one to go back to dnb after hearing

Post by pete_bubonic » Wed Nov 09, 2005 10:18 am

Intoccabile wrote:DUBSTEP

Me and many of my mates come from a dnb background. I've been into it since 94, and making beats for a couple of years.

Then one day I heard a mix from kode9, and a tune called " Indian dub " by Skream totally converted me. It was over. It was like 1994 for me, all over again. I then proceeded to convert the people around me... ^_^

Recently, I tried going back to dnb. I failed ! 8) Good for me !

Exactly the same except substitute Kode 9 for Digital Mystikz, and Indian Dub for Twiss Up and you have my story.

sheriff

Post by sheriff » Wed Nov 09, 2005 10:57 am

I was a hardcore junglist locked on 2 brockie and det. But nobody really makes dem styles anymore and the d & b scene seems to formulated. I love the energy still but after hearing Digital Mystikz play at Electroworkz for the Rephlex party that was me converted for good. Then after hearing them at DMZ! the sound system!!!!! everything became clear. I get the same feeling I did when i first heard jungle music.

I think "Indian dub" was by Loefah ??

blip

Post by blip » Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:29 pm

I did play a lot of d'n'b, and it probably is still the single genre of which I have more 12s, but I was put off by its "evolution" even before dubstep appeared. I was djing electro/ghetottech/breaks/breakcore/garage before adding dubstep and grime to that.

dj $hy

Post by dj $hy » Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:08 pm

My two m8's I produce with are both big DnB heads but they are moving away from it slowly..

Its interesting really, why do they move? I have to say I like DnB and do go out to DnB events but my heart will always be into dubstep.
http://soundcloud.com/afterdark-dubstep
New Deep one! Unsigned ATM
Soundcloud

A deep one... Dropping on Family Tree Records END OF THIS MONTH!!!!!!!
Soundcloud

dub boy

Post by dub boy » Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:10 pm

I've got into dubstep from an entirely different background. Always been a massive dub & dancehall fan, dubstep seems such a natural evolution to me. It's soundsystem culture for the 21st century!

cogent

Post by cogent » Wed Nov 09, 2005 5:03 pm

I'm hearing what you all saying here...

I was / am into Jungle and dnb but found the scene, IMO, was going stale... everything started to sound the same and it seemed the passion had gone from the sound, with people making tunes just to sell units.. and some of these tunes were just lame...

Then i discovered Oris jay and Horsepower.. they really turned me onto the whole dubstep sound.. It's fresh, has the darkness that i love in dnb and was a little slower but still had the energy.. I was hooked and then i found all the different paths and producers the scene has... and i'm still amazed with what i'm hearing

I still buy the odd bit of dnb if i like the tune/artist, and i am feeling some of these new artists that are cropping up. But it almost became 'cool' to spin / make dnb.. so everyone started doing it.. hence all the tunes sounding the same, and like they were made in reason.

All i can say is thank fuck i found dubstep.. i'm still really excited about the whole scene, its inspired me to make music again and to start buying tunes again..

Big Up's to everyone making it happen....

Cogent

subframe

Post by subframe » Wed Nov 09, 2005 6:07 pm

Having basically given up on DnB, and really loving the dubstep sound, I'm surprised to find that I'm starting to enjoy DnB more again. I think the past 6 months or so have really shown some new directions for the sound. It's still not the same as it *was*, and I find dubstep to be much fresher, but I think DnB may be recovering just slight from two years of coma...

It also helps for me, to have gotten a new perspective, to have torn myself away from my obsession with DnB. It's not healty to be so focussed on one type of music, methinks.
maximum disorder is our equilibrium

jeddere

Post by jeddere » Wed Nov 09, 2005 7:18 pm

Still listening to loadsa ragga jungle outa canada etc. like twinhooker/tester/rhygin. dnb doesnt sound the same as it did tho after my 1st birthday in dubstep.

So pleased me and me mates have found it!

ufo over easy

Post by ufo over easy » Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:01 pm

asd
Last edited by ufo over easy on Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
:d:

man and machine

Post by man and machine » Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:33 pm

yeah, ditto everything ufo said :) it was the subvert forum that actually turned me onto dubstep actually.

but yeah, although i still dig drum and bass and there are sounds that really do it for me, like the whole drumfunk sound and some technier neurofunk stuff. guys like fanu, phace, noisia, chris su, paradox, dissident. drum and bass, as a whole, doesn't really capture my imagination the way it used too.

enter dubstep! i picked up grime 2 and dubstep allstars 2 wanting to hear what this dubstep thing was all about and although i was mighty impressed, it wasn't until going to dmz that i realised how amazing the sound is. i'm a convert now. still cant quite put a finger on what exactly it is about dubstep i like...

heard someone say it sounds like upside down drum and bass :P

tate

Post by tate » Thu Nov 10, 2005 6:47 am

was, and still am, into dnb, esp things associated with offshore records and technicality/edits/inperspective/subvert central stuff. covert ops has quality tunes as well.

was just in toronto in fact to see seba and paradox with my good pal, dnb producer oS (omni trio's last ever dnb project was a remix of one of oS' tunes)

[b]racket

Post by [b]racket » Thu Nov 10, 2005 8:54 am

Tim Exile. Next level business...

citizen

Post by citizen » Thu Nov 10, 2005 10:50 am

So funny, I was going to start a "Any jaded junglists on this forum?' thread!

Obviously there is. :)

I'm agreeing with pretty much everything you guys are saying. No real surprise that I've been drawn to this new sound. For me, dubstep has the odd, distincive beats, mystery and atmosphere that were the key elements that drew me to DnB. Those same elements have been in astonishingly low supply in the past 5-6 yrs. of DnB. (bar a few excellent producers)

Yeah, for me it definately comes down to the beats - this is the defining element of both styles. When I first heard DnB/Jungle, I liked it because to me it didn't sound like "dance music". It just sounded like this mad, hyperactive future contortion of hip hop. Dubstep is the same - for a style which falls under the umbrella of dance music, it's a pretty damn unconventional style of dance music.

Sadly, DnB now sounds exactly like formulaic dance music. Week after week bucket loads of disposable rave fodder is churned out by many of the big (and small) UK labels. In most tracks the importance of the breakbeat has been so diminished that the producers are kidding themself to think that they are producing a form of breakbeat music. The saddest thing of all is how some of DnB's true innovators of the nineties make and play the most generic dance music imaginable.

I sincerely hope that those who are leading dubstep into the future retain their integrity and continue to produce the great music that we all love so much.

:D

</end rant>

(ps: Tate, how were Seba and Paradox? They are two of the few DnB producers which I still have a lot of respect for. Wicked producers.)

kaps

Decline of DnB

Post by kaps » Thu Nov 10, 2005 1:13 pm

Last edited by kaps on Fri Jun 08, 2007 4:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

sek [espionage]

Post by sek [espionage] » Thu Nov 10, 2005 1:17 pm

agreed for the most part.

however I still get pretty excited when photek, matrix or teebee are in town :)

the nut

Post by the nut » Thu Nov 10, 2005 8:16 pm

Its not really a question of going back to it or not, there were so many seminal tunes in the early years of dnb that its always going to be a major part of my musical history.
But then no, I'm not going to go back to checking the latest dnb releases or actively go out to raves.

All genres evolve over time, dnb just evolved into a bit of a dodo IMO. Considering how unique a form of music it was at the start, its maybe not surprising that it produced so much amazing music early on, then spawned so many different subgenres (remember when every tune was techstep, intelligent, jazzstep etc) which promised to go their different ways.
It was following a collective unification of the scene (guided from the top?) that seemed to require any big dnb tune to be playable next to any other at a rave, that guided the scene into the harder faster route of "formulaic dance music".

With dubstep I've lately had that feeling I first had with jungle, that in a music composed of such disparate elements, anything was possible. Every new release seems to open up new directions for the music as a whole.
I've already seen friends struggle with how you dance to dubstep when there's no real regular beats and you're mostly dancing to the bass, but this just reminds me of ravers struggling with music thats "too fast" when jungle was first about, not getting that you half step to it!

Anyway - hoping dubstep keeps evolving into a music for the future with a legacy as enduring as that of jungle!