Special Announcement: We have migrated to a new forum platform community.dsf.ninja. The old forum is locked, but it will remain open for reading. Read more.

FUNKY VERSUS WONKY?!-should be WonkyfunkyVhouse now?!?

debate, appreciation, interviews, reviews (events or releases), videos, radio shows

Postby corpsey » Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:26 pm

Jubscarz wrote:ha confusing, though I have not come across wonky house, anyone able to provide an example/explanation?

It's what funky sounds like when you're puking up ketamine in a club toilet
corpsey

Postby ufo over easy » Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:39 pm

Corpsey wrote:And we feel as some of the well known djs that if we as a whole dont speak out and try to educate the new producers coming through on how house is supposed to be made and sound, what its meaning and background is, then who will?''

sounds like garage wars again..

http://www.guardian.co.uk/friday_review ... 24,00.html
:d:
ufo over easy

Postby corpsey » Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:43 pm

Garage Wars = the eternal war

LTJ Bukem vs. Remarc in the Steel Cage

Mixmag vs. Ebeneezer Good Ladder Match

Dubstepforum vs. Wobble cyberwar
corpsey

Postby joe muggs » Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:46 pm

Corpsey wrote:''Now I’m not saying that all uk house is shit, cause that’s not the case…. Phil Asher, W Beeza, Coopr8, Freerange, Perempay & Dee, Geeneus, Fanatix, Sy Sez & Gavin Peters (Aphrodisiacx), Guy Robin etc… there are loads of acts and producers doing what house is about and producing quality stuff that can rival the us. But we feel the other side of the production which is produced poorly, sounds like a spin off from uk grime and kids using the same loops, same beats, same tribal sounds… And we feel as some of the well known djs that if we as a whole dont speak out and try to educate the new producers coming through on how house is supposed to be made and sound, what its meaning and background is, then who will?''

Jokes, so basically they're against all the stuff Blackdown etc. are supporting/interested in i.e. the interesting stuff?

Sounds just like Dream Team talking about So Solid BITD!

BTW there's been "wonky techno" for years... first coined by Jerome Hill as a shelf name in Dragon Disc (RIP) for stuff like Neil Landstrumm, Si Begg etc, who funnily enough went on to be the techno producers closest to dubstep and affiliated sounds......
joe muggs

Postby powerpill » Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:51 pm

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
powerpill

Postby blackdown » Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:54 pm

UFO over easy wrote:sounds like garage wars again..

http://www.guardian.co.uk/friday_review ... 24,00.html

"He refused to have his photograph taken with Dee Kline for the Face magazine."

LOL, i was at this photoshoot, well the first of the two days. it's where i first met El-B, Zed Bias and Jayda ... and it began my love of writing about dark garage.
Keysound Recordings, Rinse FM, http://www.blackdownsoundboy.blogspot.com, sub, edge, bars, groove, swing...
blackdown
>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<

Postby blackdown » Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:56 pm

Corpsey wrote:Jokes, so basically they're against all the stuff Blackdown etc. are supporting/interested in i.e. the interesting stuff?

no i think this is some kind of meme co-incidence. they use "wonky" to describe the stuff the grime influx are making, rather than the older UK house establishment.

nothing to do with joker, rustie, starkey or hyperdub at all...
Keysound Recordings, Rinse FM, http://www.blackdownsoundboy.blogspot.com, sub, edge, bars, groove, swing...
blackdown
>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<

Postby neville bartos » Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:08 pm

Its odd because on many a show Circle have faught against funky. They always say no funky, we dont play funky and air their feelings about it. I do rember when they played at fwd>> tho that they dropped one of Mr Apples tunes - one of those Mr Bean/ Seigelizer spin offs. They keep it a lot deeper any way, I like what they play as they keep it away from anything too cheesy - which the newer house djs who have stepped over from grime and that dont... They seem to know their stuff and that so you cant knock them. Been around for a while since. I remember the days when they were Aylesbury Allstars, seeing them spin some garage (Tippa was THE rwdmag mod) and that in Loop.
neville bartos

Postby bribkin » Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:10 pm

Corpsey wrote:''Now I’m not saying that all uk house is shit, cause that’s not the case…. Phil Asher, W Beeza, Coopr8, Freerange, Perempay & Dee, Geeneus, Fanatix, Sy Sez & Gavin Peters (Aphrodisiacx), Guy Robin etc… there are loads of acts and producers doing what house is about and producing quality stuff that can rival the us. But we feel the other side of the production which is produced poorly, sounds like a spin off from uk grime and kids using the same loops, same beats, same tribal sounds… And we feel as some of the well known djs that if we as a whole dont speak out and try to educate the new producers coming through on how house is supposed to be made and sound, what its meaning and background is, then who will?''

Jokes, so basically they're against all the stuff Blackdown etc. are supporting/interested in i.e. the interesting stuff?

no HAHA triply confusing, I think Corpsey meant they're not into the 'funky' (as in new derivative of funky house) that you've been writing about as well.

it is 2 x meme collision because they're using the term 'wonky' and they also happened to use a v similar graphic to luckyme.

i thought they had been reading ur blog and meant that kind of wonky! cuz to make it more complicated, MA1 and Kismet started arguing about/discussing all this because of an article Prancehall wrote as well (see the blogs on MA1s page) for the NME, and I was researching that and I saw someone somewhere else (can't remember where) had been reading your blog martin and brought that into it, there was some argument about the discussion you mentioned about white girls on flyers as well. will try and find if it i have the time ever, spent too much on this now gotta dash.

u got that copy of The FACE? do u know what issue it was??
bribkin

Postby bribkin » Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:26 pm

Neville Bartos wrote:Its odd because on many a show Circle have faught against funky. They always say no funky, we dont play funky and air their feelings about it. I do rember when they played at fwd>> tho that they dropped one of Mr Apples tunes - one of those Mr Bean/ Seigelizer spin offs. They keep it a lot deeper any way, I like what they play as they keep it away from anything too cheesy - which the newer house djs who have stepped over from grime and that dont... They seem to know their stuff and that so you cant knock them. Been around for a while since. I remember the days when they were Aylesbury Allstars, seeing them spin some garage (Tippa was THE rwdmag mod) and that in Loop.

oh i got that one! - I interviewed Kismet for Rinse recently, he basically said if he gets a tune by one of the 'funky' producers, he'll try and un-bias himself by asking himself if it was made by one of the US house producers he likes, would he play it? and sometimes the answer is yes.

I well wanna be in the fight cage I wanna fight. I fight my cat but he's too small. He does have nasty claws. But he keeps tryin to get me in this backflip he does to his sister but it doesn't work cuz he can't flip me over by grabbing my leg, i'm too big. I just laugh at him. And then realise my leg is bleeding.
But he does always want beef.
bribkin

Postby neville bartos » Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:41 pm

An other thing I was thinking was that I am pretty interested to see what will happen with regards to house and baddermen and that. I have been left to believ that you are getting a fair few trouble makers attending these parties - similar to the trouble makers who gave ukg its bad rep and in the end led to the police and the authorities shutting the music down.

I remember reading a thing about the police were already shutting down funky and uk house type nights 2/3 years ago with djs like Supa D and Wigman getting a bad rep (maybe this is why it will often say "Supa Surprise" DJ playing at nights). Cirlce events are private invite only - you have to give them your name, addy, dob, phone number and so on (credit card scam? :?: ) - you cant even take cigarettes and lighters into thir dances. You have to take a passport or driving licence with you otherwise you will not get in. These are precautions against the badboys.. and pretty big ones to take aswell I'd say.

For me, this strain of house emerging reminds me of ukg - I have appreciated it from the start with my dubstep pals mocking me for it... You try and explain that its not west end type funky house but that it is a rawer, skippy type of music that - is in fact for me closer to the ukg I used to listen to than the dubstep I do now.

So seeing as house is so big, and if it does start to break into tthe charts, and then more bad boys start attending the dances, how will the police react as house is such a big umbrella for all the types. Will they stop certain DJs from playing? In which case they could just change their name - or will funky become a real subgenre of house and that? I dont really know, havnt really asked the question in the way that I would have liked to, its come out a bit wrong but hey.
neville bartos

Postby drifterman_ » Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:57 pm

I find alot of the "Funky" tunes boring to be honest.

The house that Circle plays is good though.

Same with the music Jason H plays on his show.
drifterman_

Postby neville bartos » Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:02 pm

drifterman_ wrote:I find alot of the "Funky" tunes boring to be honest.

The house that Circle plays is good though.

Same with the music Jason H plays on his show.

Yeah, Jasoon H is heavy... See I think Circle and Jason H and others like them are more knowledagble, been in it for longer and draw for the better selection. I do like tunes by the uk prodcers, the tracks on the Supa D CD are heavy, but then you listen to sets by the likes of Geenius, Perampay (DJ Bossman) and so on and they dont have enough skippy uk sounds and play some cheesy led stuff with the worst drwan out solos, cheesy riffs and so on. Too attracted to obvious sounds where as Circle and that go deeper.
neville bartos

Postby concept_ » Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:25 pm

i don't really understand the Circle camp argument tbh. Not knocking them as I like their sound and I agree their sets are a different type of house style from many others, specially when they got carlos airies behind the decks who seems to have a lot of American influence in his sound (great DJ still and house enthusiast thru and thru takes you back to the *real* classics)...

but they are still labelled under the funky UK banner, and part of the interest in (new) funky house comes from it's growth from other genres like garage and grime with people like Apple, Geeneus etc involved in the sound. Therefore why would they want to knock the emergence of the sound from new producers and the growth of a genre (and perhaps their support). I'm probably missing a lot to the whole idea, but perhaps they are watching the scene get saturated by poor productions of bandwagon jumpers and are trying to keep it roots, and asking ppl to remember origins of the sound- which is all very well, but saturation of any UK urban music genre is an inevitability these days imo, and not necessarily a bad thing.
concept_

Postby blackdown » Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:30 pm

this is exactly what happened in 2000-02 with UKG. The UKG old guard like Matt Jam Lamont n co said "we're not playing any of that [young, raw, UK] grimey shit" and the term grime was born...
blackdown
>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<

Postby neville bartos » Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:39 pm

An other interesting thing is the way the tunes are mixed. I got a set of Pioneer b2b with Supa and Mc Dogtanion and they are speeding through the tunes, some only getting a minute long play. A few reloads aswell, and the tunes all pitched up. It is like listening to an old ukg set. What goes around and all that. An other thing I think is interesting is all the peopl who pushed the sound that "killed ukg" - darker stuff, grime tunes and gunman mc tunes etc - are now pushing the sound (to a point) that they put a couple of bullits in a few years ago.
Last edited by neville bartos on Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
neville bartos

Postby bribkin » Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:40 pm

Neville Bartos wrote:An other thing I was thinking was that I am pretty interested to see what will happen with regards to house and baddermen and that. I have been left to believ that you are getting a fair few trouble makers attending these parties - similar to the trouble makers who gave ukg its bad rep and in the end led to the police and the authorities shutting the music down.

that is one of their concerns i think
bribkin

Postby ufo over easy » Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:00 pm

Neville Bartos wrote:An other thing I think is interesting is all the peopl who pushed the sound that "killed ukg" - darker stuff, grime tunes and gunman mc tunes etc - are now pushing the sound (to a point) that they put a couple of bullits in a few years ago.

it's all come full circle

har har
:d:
ufo over easy

This forum is locked. Continue the discussion by creating a new topic on The New Dubstep Forum.
Next

Return to General Discussion