Crazy Idea

hardware, software, tips and tricks
Forum rules
By using this "Production" sub-forum, you acknowledge that you have read, understood and agreed with our terms of use for this site. Click HERE to read them. If you do not agree to our terms of use, you must exit this site immediately. We do not accept any responsibility for the content, submissions, information or links contained herein. Users posting content here, do so completely at their own risk.

Quick Link to Feedback Forum
siah alan

Crazy Idea

Post by siah alan » Sat Oct 14, 2006 3:37 am

Anyone ever tried making a track that mixed psy-trance with breaks?

Or tried making halfstep with psytrance riffs?

If you got anything like this I want to hear it.

tusk

Post by tusk » Sat Oct 14, 2006 5:17 am

I reckon some of Intoccabile's tracks have a "psy" element to them.

siah alan

Post by siah alan » Sat Oct 14, 2006 5:43 am

Cool, don't think I've heard them in any of the mixes I have.

Any suggestions?

DeepThought

Post by DeepThought » Sat Oct 14, 2006 10:41 am

i never EVER want to hear this happen.

shonky

Post by shonky » Sat Oct 14, 2006 10:57 am

DeepThought wrote:tbh i never EVER want to hear this happen!
Ditto. I thought loads of trance producers had gone over to breaks anyway, seems like very similar sounds and lost any trace of grit that it got from the original hip hop influence.

Think Request Line's probably the closest, but that's purely for the arpeggios - if you put a 4/4 beat behind that it might not be that far off (this might be heresy to some folks).

Psy trance is horrible to these ears.
Hmm....

markle

Post by markle » Sat Oct 14, 2006 10:58 am

DeepThought wrote:i never EVER want to hear this happen.
agreed
http://www.2nddroprecords.com
http://markleman.blogspot.com
http://www.twitter.com/markle875
http://www.SubFM.com - Bi-weekly Monday's 6-8pm UK Time

Out Now
LV ft Errol Bellot
A. Don't Judge
B. Don't Judge (Fantastic Mr Fox Remix)

Out Now
A. J:Kenzo - Conqueror
B. LD - Derailment

siah alan

Post by siah alan » Sat Oct 14, 2006 5:23 pm

I don't know, I could see Juno Reactor or Shpongle making dubstep,
wouldn't be that big a jump. The drums would probably suck though.

I want something thats got a good memorable riff and good bass.

Fuck a million LFO wobble beats in halftime.

shonky

Post by shonky » Sat Oct 14, 2006 6:33 pm

Siah Alan wrote:I don't know, I could see Juno Reactor or Shpongle making dubstep,
wouldn't be that big a jump. The drums would probably suck though.

I want something thats got a good memorable riff and good bass.

Fuck a million LFO wobble beats in halftime.
I know what you mean about the wobble bass, but there's still plenty of other shades of dubstep. Some of the darker end of breakstep might be more to your tastes. If you can get hold of any of the earlier Vex'd singles (and a few tunes on his album)

Amazed that Juno Reactor are still going to be honest, but Hype's been going since 88 or so, so shouldn't really be that surprising. I think it's just that the music seems to have evolved from quite minimal sounds and subtle mood, and psytrance seems to be rather maximalist and over-dramatic, so I'm not too sure if this would work as a fusion.

Might be worth seeing if you can make some yourself though if it's a sound you want to hear - I remember feeling the same way about dnb when more trancey tracks started coming out which I wasn't into, but plenty of trance heads crossed over, so it might happen.

It's not my bag, but then it wouldn't be the first time that a genre's gone in a direction I'm not feeling. Having said this, I was listening to Menta's Sound of the Future earlier and thinking about it that's got that sort of arpeggiations and riffy style to it (think it might have some sort of trance gate business on it as well) and that happens to be one of my top tunes at the moment (managed to snag it off e-bay as it came out years ago, but only got it the other week), so it might work.
Hmm....

siah alan

Post by siah alan » Sat Oct 14, 2006 6:55 pm

Yeah I have that Vex'd 12" on Drum + Breaks and their album.

I'm a big fan of 30hz (P Dutty) too.

Robotic has a mix called Fringe Benefitz where he mixed real minimal techy psytrance like Spirallianz and Vibrasphere with some N-Type and Toastyboy tracks.

I think it worked really well as just another flavor in the mix.

shonky

Post by shonky » Sat Oct 14, 2006 8:06 pm

yeah, 30 hz is good got one of his tunes (can't remember which off hand). Horsepower (without whom it's doubtful we'd be here) were big fans of Maurizio and the Basic Channel stuff, but I suppose that's more on the minimal techno tip.

Personally speaking I'd like to hear that influence come back, as it seemed a lot deeper and hypnotic than some of the current dubstep. Maybe check out some of their back catalogue, it's quite mellow but more uptempo (to my mind) than current trends. Think they were rereleasing some of the back catalogue, and a lot of it I'm pretty certain isn't out of print. The tune they did on Roots of Dubstep has definitely resurfaced.

Sorry about the vagueness, I'm useless with names of tunes and don't want to hit you up with "you know, the flutey one" answers. There is a huge pile of vinyl that I need to sort out so that I can find what I'm after again.

Hope that's of some use to you
Hmm....

eskay

Re: Crazy Idea

Post by eskay » Sat Oct 14, 2006 8:22 pm

Siah Alan wrote: Or tried making halfstep with psytrance riffs?
At the risk of making myself sound like a tit, could someone explain, or point me to an explanation of how these sounds are defined.

I listened to loads of acid, rave, techno etc in the early 90's, then moved into hip hop and house/garage (the original soulful stuff), and then discovered dubstep a couple of years ago (so do not consider myself as a novice!).

One thing that always baffles me is when tunes are refered to as 4/4, 2 step etc.

Anyone else in the same boat?

siah alan

Post by siah alan » Sat Oct 14, 2006 8:31 pm

Yeah, I know Horsepower's stuff.

Electrobass is probably my favorite dubstep/ 2-step track.

Right up there with the original mix of I and El-B's Amazon.

Love Basic Channel to death, just ignorant about the rest of dub techno.

shonky

Post by shonky » Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:07 am

Was playing Electrobass today - still lovin that one. Thought you were new to the forum, so I didn't know you'd been into it for that long. Shows some good taste in my book :wink:
Hmm....

siah alan

Post by siah alan » Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:14 am

Oh yeah I used to post on dubplate.net once in awhile.

I'm just not a very social guy.

Like to give things a lot of thought before I open my mouth.

shonky

Post by shonky » Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:17 am

Wish I could say the same. Used to love dubplate net, probably wouldn't have found out about half of this music if it wasn't for them and hyperdub. Good to have you aboard anyway
Hmm....

feralbrown

Post by feralbrown » Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:03 am

heh... right up my alley!
(some of these might be "funkier" than you're after, but most online record stores letcha have a bit of a sample before you buy)
Tipper, Hallucinogen in Dub (kinda), Buckfunk 3000, Si Begg, Cold Fusion Mafia, Son of the Electric Ghost, Sensient, "Pyrexia"(compilation) on Exogenic Records, Deviant Electronics, Cosmo aka Highko aka Highcosmos, Germinating Seeds of Doda, Rip van Hippy, Eat Static, Raiden, Nam Shub of Enki, Masa, Brain Pilot, Missed Canon, Sibliant, Ray Castle, Dark Fader...
well, that oughta getcha started, ay? :D

feralbrown

Post by feralbrown » Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:13 am

and one other thing that has literally just come to my attention as I typed up that list...
why not give it a crack yourself?
Tribal Vision Records presents

Vibrasphere – Floating Free: Remix Contest

Floating Free - this extraordinary track from Swedish project Vibrasphere had a huge impact on dancefloors all over the world. Many top deejays like Armin Van Buuren or John 00 Fleming had it in their playlists during summer and it even reached #1 in the Beatport.com trance charts. Rickard Berglöf and Robert Elster aka Vibrasphere are producing trance music since the mid 90s and have had a decisive influence on the whole progressive trance scene. They themselves regard Floating Free to be one of their most progressive productions.

Tribal Vision Records gives you the possibility to do a remix of this amazing piece of music.

How to participate?
Just write an email to info@tribalvision.cz with "Floating Free competition" in the subject. We will send you the link to the track samples as well as the remix submission info back.

The winning track chosen by Vibrasphere and Tribal Vision will be released on the upcoming Floating Free Remixes 12" EP in February 2007, and the next 5 best tracks will be released on an exclusive digital compilation on Beatport.com. The deadline for sending your tracks is December 10th, 2006. We are expecting to hear all kinds of music!

The original track is available on "Lime Light 2" CD compilation released on Tribal Vision Records in July 2006 or directly at www.beatport.com and other download shops.

www.tribalvision.cz
:)
all the elements are there, chop 'em the fuzznuck!

r33lc4sh

Post by r33lc4sh » Sat Oct 28, 2006 8:36 am

Shonky wrote: Amazed that Juno Reactor are still going to be honest, but Hype's been going since 88 or so, so shouldn't really be that surprising. I think it's just that the music seems to have evolved from quite minimal sounds and subtle mood, and psytrance seems to be rather maximalist and over-dramatic, so I'm not too sure if this would work as a fusion.
ekhm... shonky there is loadz of minimal psy trance which totally is not over-dramatic :)
even juno reactor has some really fucking heavy minimal tunes
btw if he started making dubstep would be great :D
http://redekonstrukcje.org
hardest and toughest sound system of freezing east

feralbrown

Post by feralbrown » Sat Oct 28, 2006 11:31 am

r33lc4sh wrote: ekhm... shonky there is loadz of minimal psy trance which totally is not over-dramatic :)
Totally... up 'til a few years back (2 or 3) almost every psy album had some kinda obligatory minimalist psychedelic throbby dub track stashed amongst everything... it spawned a whole wave of minimal psy... and nowdays you'll find a lot of "underground" psytrance producers fukn with that concept one way or another, exclusively...
I dunno if they've got a site up yet, but two mates of mine do some pretty nifty shit in this vein, under the name "Hedonix"... they've got a few tracks on compilations by Electric Power Pole Productions... another kinda similar act is "Didjitalis", although they use didge drones and stuff as their bassline, mostly...

siah alan

Post by siah alan » Sun Oct 29, 2006 8:04 pm

Thanks for the tips on artists FeralBrown.

I've been downloading some tracks and I think I may have a mix coming
down the pipeline soon here.

Of the stuff you mentioned I really liked the Exogenic artists and Sensient.

Sensient has this track called Dynafunk that is completely mental, (as our friends from the UK say).
I had no idea Australian psy was getting this weird or good.

You're buddies' beats aren't too shabby either.