Page 3 of 4
Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:27 am
by jimmer
i rock ER20s (when i remeber them)
i got given them by me old work!
Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:36 am
by elgato
ramadanman wrote:the majority of damage is done by the high frequencies apparently
blatently
i had ringing for longer having been in a shitty little bar which turned the christmas tunes up too loud on their scratchy PA than i did after FWD
Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:37 am
by the wiggle baron
ramadanman wrote:the majority of damage is done by the high frequencies apparently
As far as i was aware, the low frequencies actually do more damage to your ears than the higher ones, as they carry far more energy. The problem is that you dont notice as much because its the high frequencies that damage the every day audible range you use. The lower frequencies still damage, but not in a way that causes ringing in the ears or whatever. They all = tinitus.
Just want to add here that I really am not 100% on this. Any physicists out there care to verify/slay me?
Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:38 am
by ramadanman
yeh FWDs soundsystem is incredibly well balanced.
like no ringing after a night there
Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:32 pm
by deamonds
The Wiggle Baron wrote:ramadanman wrote:the majority of damage is done by the high frequencies apparently
As far as i was aware, the low frequencies actually do more damage to your ears than the higher ones, as they carry far more energy. The problem is that you dont notice as much because its the high frequencies that damage the every day audible range you use. The lower frequencies still damage, but not in a way that causes ringing in the ears or whatever. They all = tinitus.
Just want to add here that I really am not 100% on this. Any physicists out there care to verify/slay me?
wiggle, wats an example of a high freq. that could damage??
Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:48 pm
by the wiggle baron
Again, as far as im aware (covering my ass here!) any frequency can damage your ears. I know 2000-8000 khz is the most dangerous area though, and most earplugs will offer extra protection for these wavelengths.
Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 4:11 pm
by drbluebeat
The earplugs I mentioned filter out harmful frequencies from top and bottom end as well as providing two sets of filters which will reduce the overall sound "a little" or "a bit more" (there is a more technical description on the site!)
Brilliant earplugs that lead to a comedy moment every DMZ where I think
"system's quiet, I'll take them out" followed by "bloody hell!" as I poke them back in

Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 4:49 pm
by musty dust
never use them but really should.
Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:55 pm
by delendi
high frequencies are the most damaging and are the ones u lose first.
seriously u lot if you're goin out to clubs regularly - once a week or more u NEED to spend more than £15 on earplugs.
u ever come across that high freq ringtone thing that kids use in class cos teachers can't hear it? if you're under 25 and u can't hear that u've already damaged your ears too much and they want u to stop it.
ramadan, even tho it's not THAT bad now and u can only hear it when the room's silent, the more u expose yourself to high sound levels the more tones will get added to that one, meaning it'll be louder and more and more unbearably irritating.
go get moulded earplugs... all of you.
Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:14 pm
by thinking
The Wiggle Baron wrote:ramadanman wrote:the majority of damage is done by the high frequencies apparently
As far as i was aware, the low frequencies actually do more damage to your ears than the higher ones, as they carry far more energy. The problem is that you dont notice as much because its the high frequencies that damage the every day audible range you use. The lower frequencies still damage, but not in a way that causes ringing in the ears or whatever. They all = tinitus.
Just want to add here that I really am not 100% on this. Any physicists out there care to verify/slay me?
you 'hear' the majority of low-freq sound through your bones - your skull and your 'chestplate' in particular.
It's def mid and high-range sounds which will really knacker your hearing, especially if it's overdriven and crunchy. I have a mild case of hyperacuisis (oversensitive hearing) and it properly hurts me if mids are too loud nowadays.
worn earplugs for years now and can't imagine not using them.
Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:39 pm
by ufo over easy
deamonds wrote:
wiggle, wats an example of a high freq. that could damage??
the life support bleep in Kromestar - Surgery
High frequencies are damaging, but it's when systems are pushed too hard that things get dangerous. FWD's loud, but the system can handle it.
Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:24 am
by scoz
I'm sure while I was looking into this a while back I read something about a phenomenon known as "disco drop", but have since failed to succeed in finding anything in google about it, which is where the lows and highs are fine but you lose the mids because of too loud music in clubs etc.
After one very painful night out in Brum, where there was no escape from far too loud music except for the toilets or the stairs, and an other one in liverpool, where Surgeon & Regis pushed the levels up far to much, I almost always wear ear plugs now. I'm sure that night in brum left me with permanent damage. The one in liverpool at least there was some escape from the sound.
Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:50 pm
by the wiggle baron
scoz wrote:I'm sure while I was looking into this a while back I read something about a phenomenon known as "disco drop", but have since failed to succeed in finding anything in google about it, which is where the lows and highs are fine but you lose the mids because of too loud music in clubs etc.
After one very painful night out in Brum, where there was no escape from far too loud music except for the toilets or the stairs, and an other one in liverpool, where Surgeon & Regis pushed the levels up far to much, I almost always wear ear plugs now. I'm sure that night in brum left me with permanent damage. The one in liverpool at least there was some escape from the sound.
I had a gig like that not too long ago. It was shit to be honest, had to reach for a drum and bass gig for an as yet unconverted friend. Not only was the music wafer, it was also horrendously loud, and in the end i had to resort to homemade earplugs made from my ticket to the gig wrapped in toilet roll. It actually worked surprisingly well, meaning i only had sub focus to deal with...

Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:20 pm
by gravious
ThinKing wrote:It's def mid and high-range sounds which will really knacker your hearing, especially if it's overdriven and crunchy. I have a mild case of hyperacuisis (oversensitive hearing) and it properly hurts me if mids are too loud nowadays.
Hmmm, I think I might be similar, cos crunchy nasty snare sounds make me physically recoil when played thru a big rig (or even a medium/small rig...).
Others at the nights have all told me they don't notice anything particular about such sounds, but they make my eardrums pucker like a cat's arsehole.
Thankfully, earplugs cut out this nonsense!
Posted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:39 pm
by dubplodocus
BunZer0 wrote:deamonds wrote:hold tight all the deaf crew
LOUDER !

hold tight the sign language massive.
Posted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:11 pm
by inaya
I didn't wear them during my young club days and also during my DJing years and I am still paying for it. I can't urge people enough to wear earplugs and to protect their ears as much as possible. I don't have custom ones now but use the er-20's. here is a cheap site for them btw if anyone is interested
http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er20.aspx
Posted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:17 pm
by Steve AC23
If you want some on the cheap.
Ask family or whatever that works in machining enviroments.
Fitting shops etc.
My old man got me some wicked ones like the ER20s for nowt.
Had them by the boxfull, wish I got a more than a few pairs, only got shitty foams ones now.
Could've made a mint in clubs.
Posted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:19 pm
by hate recordings
usually, i try to pack earplugs, just disposable ones.
but if i get to the club, and the highs are just too fucking high, believe i head straight to the bathroom and plug my ears up with toilet paper. no shame, either. highs hurt my ears badder than amotherfucker.
Posted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:21 pm
by starkey
I got molds taken and have a pair of westones. was my christmas present from my parents a few years back actually.
they're totallly worth it in loud clubs. you can hear everything with a fairly flat response + talk to people a bit easier. You just have to get used to how you sound with your ears all plugged up.
http://www.westone.com/
- - -
Posted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:55 pm
by a_k47
some times when i have them 2 save hearing for makin beats at home